1956 Johnson 5.5hp CD-13A tunning

pfrulas

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I recently got an aluminum 12ft Starcraft from the 60s and a 1956 Johnson 5.5 outboard. The boat floats great, but the motor wasnt working. I'm not really a mechanic but I decided to give it a shot and do a full restoration.

Thanks to all the previous posts, history, videos and awesome material all you guys publish... I've been able to get started...

As a summary, the motor has decent compression (60 / 55 ish) but no spark.
I decided to change all ignition system, full carburator clean, change of water pump, new power gasket and change of oil for the lower unit. I've bought most of what i need from different places, and I'll make sure I post some updates as I move fwd.

What brings me to you today, is that... after cleaning the ignition system, I realized 1 of my sparkplug wires isnt working (only sporadic continuity) so, I was glad I caught that but now Im struggling to find the proper wires.

Again, thanks to all the previous questions, I know I need solid core wires, and that the new ones wont work... I know these are also used in some old motorcycles and tractors... and I know Napa is supposed to sell them. BUT after visiting a Napa store and trying to find wires online... I have to say I dont know which ones to buy.

I've been able to find options on ebay but from Napa, all I have is this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL734803 which is described as "metallic" I was wondering if this would work... not a lot of info on the wire online.

I was wondering if anybody had a part number for Napa so I can try and get it !

I'll update the post with progress pictures and I'm planning to do a website and videos with my progress and lessons learned.. I'll share you the link once I start it !

cheers !

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
I trust F_R opion 100 per .Could i add that almost any brp dealer worth their salt should be able to help you with new wire etc.Pictures are loved here and keep us updated thats one of my alltime favs,and as far as im concerned one of if not the best small motor ever made period.

pfrulas

Cadet
Thanks for the answer ! I went ahead and bought a few feet of the wire. It looks great, so hopefully I?ll finish the ignition today or tomorrow. This is what the motor looks like, its in pretty good shape, but I think its never been serviced. 33648512381_06b9943012_b.jpg

Attachments

• 33648512381_06b9943012_b.jpg
    33648512381_06b9943012_b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0

pfrulas

Cadet
This is what the coils looked like.

Attachments

• Cracked Coils.jpg
    Cracked Coils.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1

pfrulas

Cadet
​ ​ ​ As long as I have your attention.. I have another question... I took the base of the ignition off in order to replace the sparkplug wires... Should I clean and grease this area ? which grease should I use? also the base where the screws go ... is loose, I guess it tightens when I place the base on top, is that correct ? 33962346666_571f2b262d_b.jpg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I have used belden wire also ... metallic core easy to tell the difference the bad stuff has a ribbon like conductor (black from carbon and has very high ohms resistance... your metallic core wire will have 0 ohms resistance

I have added grease to the base ring... not much your compression#s are a bit low but they may come up after a few hours and a good decarb (engine tuner)
nice coils you have... that engine likely did not run for the past 30-40 years after the coils shorted out

just clean up the magneto tighten down all the screws, super clean the points time it and go ! route coils wires away (tucked away) from the cam rotations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1Cj...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_magneto.htm

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
​ ​ ​ As long as I have your attention.. I have another question... I took the base of the ignition off in order to replace the sparkplug wires... Should I clean and grease this area ? which grease should I use? also the base where the screws go ... is loose, I guess it tightens when I place the base on top, is that correct ?

I'd remove the brass retainer and clean all the old grease off it and the aluminum ring underneath. Then lightly re-grease them. Make sure the aluminum ring is flat side up when you put it back together. Yes, that aluminum ring should turn freely. The magneto bolts into it, and the magneto assembly rotates via that ring under the brass retainer.

pfrulas

Cadet
Thanks lindy46... I?ll do that. Any special grease you recommend? or any marine grease would do? Im buying some in order to grease the prop shaft as well. Im guessing I can use the same one right ?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Crosbyman i worked on a 1956 30 evinrude about 6 years ago that was brought to me running.When i checked the coils they were as bad as those ones!Ishould of took a vid as i actually crushed the coil with my hand to basically dust,im still amazed that the motor ran atall.But yes those coils are long past their due date for sure,lol.If the fuel line hasnt been replaced id do that also as its most likely pretty brittle and will fail at the worst possible time.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
No Title

fixed mine... ran like a fine watch ......and I sold it :facepalm:

Attachments

• photo240454.jpg
    photo240454.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240660.jpg
    photo240660.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240661.jpg
    photo240661.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253405.jpg
    photo253405.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

pfrulas

Cadet
Hi there... I have an issue with the ignition timing, I just realized the title of this thread is too generic, so, Ill start a new thread with the specifics, that I think will help future readers to get the information for each of the obstacles... thanks for all the help !