rude 5.5 62' used permatex on head to exuast, but leaked

reckless

Seaman Apprentice
i didnt have the gasket so i used permaatex no1 but it still leakes also the water barely reaches the thermostat(thermostat cover open) so i know water isnt getting to cool the cylinder head, i may have used too much sealant?<br />i also cheked the impeller its still good,<br />i think the water is leaking back down the exaust and not circulating.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: rude 5.5 62' used permatex on head to exuast, but leaked

hello<br /> exactly which gasket? the power head to exhaust housing? I think that gasket is avalible still but in your location may be hard to get. its not a difficult one to make. use some 1/32" gasket paper and a small ballpeen hammer to tap the outline. then I use a dremmel tool to cut it out. them tiny carbide burrs are wonderful. in the absence of a dremel use a razor blade and scissors. use a piece of tubing and a hammer and a wooden block to cut the bolt hole passages. sometimes while working in venezuela gaskets are made rather than purchased due to the avalibility issue.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

yes, i was going to make a gasket originally but i was tired cutting out all those outlines,<br />im using "versahem" brand gasket shelac, is that ok?<br /> or is there something better i can use?<br />Thanks<br />have u ever tried using the omc gel seal(loctite 518) in place of gaskets? i hear its good

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There are no short cuts, you must use gaskets! Exactly what gaskets do you need (be percise)? Sounds like you're speaking of the side exhaust baffle plate gaskets #306201 (about $7.00 ea). If so, I checked my remaining stock and found that I have three left..

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep - ya gotta use the gasket. Get out the scissors and hole punch... It's much easier if you've got the old one, or parts of it to use as a pattern. There are usually several holes and such that aren't readily apparent from looking at the casting. If it's the side baffle/exhaust cover you're speaking of you should be able to use the baffle plate as a template for the holes and such.<br />- Scott

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

im referring to the powerhead to exaust gasket, im gonna try the hammer trick and cut it out.<br />i also lost the shift control lever thats sits at the top of the exaust but i managed to make one up that works well.<br />i hope it works