Not your normal low compression

Mbrad2

Recruit
Ok so I am a little new to outboards, as in this is my first to look at. I am mechanically incline though. Rebuild motors and transmission on the side. So here is the issue. I have a Evinrude 150xp (model E150STLESB) that I got on a trade. This was thought to be running but I could not get to start. I checked the compression cold with all spark plugs removed and got 63-65 PSI on ALL cylinders with throttle open. At first I thought this was really low as most forum talk about a low cylinder being around 80 PSI. What gets me and does not sound right is that all cylinders are the same. To me I would think that there is something else besides rings that would be a problem as I wouldn't think that rings on all 6 cylinders would wear that low at the same time. Theoretically that should happen but not in reality. I have heard that baffles or reeds might have something to do with it, but not sure. Also just for giggles I hooked air up to one cylinder and plugged the other two on the bank with the spark plugs. Turned the air to 60 then 100 PSI and sprayed soapy water around the gasket areas of the cylinder cover, cylinder and power head with no leaks. I heard air coming out the exhaust so I turned the crank. At 60 psi I could turn it but at 100 I could only turn it enough to stop hearing it come our the exhaust. Looking for any ideas to check before I tear the motor down. Thank you in advance for all the help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Agree, compression gauges are notorious for being off. That engine should have compression in the 90-95 range.

Mbrad2

Recruit
I will try another gauge. but I did double check the gauge against the psi gauge coming off the compressed air multiple times and it was with 5 PSI. I think I have another gauge lying around. I will try that tomorrow night.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinder.----And throttle position does not matter !

Mbrad2

Recruit
so compression read the about 5 PSI lower with a different gauge. Went ahead and took a look at the rings and they are all still springy so I think they might be good still. Looked at cylinder walls and you can still see the crosshatching. nothing that would make me think of low compression. One cylinder did have a scratch that might be an issue. It is the same cylinder that read 62 when the rest were 65. Out of ideas now. ANy thoughts

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Try a wet test of the cylinders. Possibly to dry to set the rings? How's the spark?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Will the spark jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester ?? Squirt some fuel in the carb throats and try and start it..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You should consider an application of Bombardier's Engine Tuner. It does a great job of removed old carbon which gets deposited on the piston, ringsets. Maybe do a 2nd application. If this is a high hours engine, the compression may come up a few lbs. Then make your evaluation.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd still try to get it to at least to pop off. Have you drained the carbs ??

BigB9k

Seaman Apprentice
How did you get 60, or 100 PSI into the cylinders?
Lock down the flywheel at TDC?