AC lightning plug on Evinrude / Johnson outboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacmyc

Cadet
Hi. I've recently got my hands on a Evinrude 15 hp from 1988. (Actually it is a 9.9 hp with the limiter-plate removed but thats another story).
Now I want to put my GPS and sonar into the boat and I'll need a battery for it. My questions is how does the AC lightning socket work? I now it's AC,
but what voltage can I expect? Can I just put a rectifier on it to convert to DC and then connect it directly to 12 V battery to charge it?
Can the rectifier consist by just 4 simple diods like this?

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcT32BSNV-AETzj7CxkkuRQW6f...png

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What is your model #. Converting to dc is easy with a rectifier. I don't know if that system can handle having a battery attached to it, but your system should be about 5 amps. I would say run your stuff off of the battery because a battery will last a long time with only those 2 things attached to it and buy a battery charger. I have an electric start with the charging system it's only a 5 amp system and puts out next to nothing when at low speed.

Sorry my son was on here for the first answer he's learning.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Hi. I've recently got my hands on a Evinrude 15 hp from 1988. (Actually it is a 9.9 hp with the limiter-plate removed but thats another story).
Now I want to put my GPS and sonar into the boat and I'll need a battery for it. My questions is how does the AC lightning socket work? I now it's AC,
but what voltage can I expect? Can I just put a rectifier on it to convert to DC and then connect it directly to 12 V battery to charge it?
Can the rectifier consist by just 4 simple diods like this?

The 9,9 and 15hp engines have a three wire output from the stator coil to the lighting socket. You therefore need a 6 diode bridge rectifier rather than the 4 diode one you illustrate . ( its the same in effect as a 3 phase rectifier)

The four wire rectifier shown in the parts diagrams is the correct type . Three AC input connections and a DC positive output with the case being the DC negative .

An AC lighting to battery charging kit is/was available that plugs into the lighting socket

convert

Otherwise you could fit a rectifier and terminal block under the cowl and wire it up as though the engine was originally fitted with battery charging.

I take it that your engine is not electric starting as that would I am sure have battery charging fitted rather than the AC lighting socket.

As none of these provide a regulated output you must not try to run accessories directly without having a battery connected ........ I inadvertently toasted my electronic autopilot by doing that !

This two diagrams show how lights should be connected to the lighting socket. Also the circuit for the four wire rectifier when that is fitted

4fd8c66a.jpg

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I never understood why they put those on those motors as boat accessories are 12v dc.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Because AC lighting on small motors is just about universal in Europe. No battery needed if only used for lights.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

3 Phase DC w/battery and AC lighting circuits

Attachments

• photo55548.jpg
    photo55548.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo251571.jpg
    photo251571.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 7

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The reason for a three phase AC circuit verse a two phase setup is, a three phase offers a little more oomph. In other words you get a little bit more output for every RPM. And it will take a three phase rectifier to make it DC. But it will unregulated DC and not filtered either. But that is okay for battery charging. If you want a filtered regulated 12 DC output, it will take a voltage regulator as well. JMHO

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The reason for a three phase AC circuit verse a two phase setup is, a three phase offers a little more oomph. In other words you get a little bit more output for every RPM. And it will take a three phase rectifier to make it DC. But it will unregulated DC and not filtered either. But that is okay for battery charging. If you want a filtered regulated 12 DC output, it will take a voltage regulator as well. JMHO

Well sure, that is true about the regulator etc. However, the vast majority of outboards under say 100hp do not have voltage regulation.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well sure, that is true about the regulator etc. However, the vast majority of outboards under say 100hp do not have voltage regulation.

Yea I realize that. But that doesn't mean you can't add a voltage regulator on any stator output engine. Not that hard to do. JMHO

pacmyc

Cadet
What is your model #. Converting to dc is easy with a rectifier. I don't know if that system can handle having a battery attached to it, but your system should be about 5 amps. I would say run your stuff off of the battery because a battery will last a long time with only those 2 things attached to it and buy a battery charger. I have an electric start with the charging system it's only a 5 amp system and puts out next to nothing when at low speed.

Sorry my son was on here for the first answer he's learning.

I was sure that I had a pic of the s/n tag somewhere but can't find it. But the model is GT. I read somewhere that this motor was assembled in Belgium with some rest over 15 hp parts.

The problem with running it from a battery that is not being charged is that there's no backup. It doesn't feel good risking that the battery goes flat when far away from home.

pacmyc

Cadet
The 9,9 and 15hp engines have a three wire output from the stator coil to the lighting socket. You therefore need a 6 diode bridge rectifier rather than the 4 diode one you illustrate . ( its the same in effect as a 3 phase rectifier)

The four wire rectifier shown in the parts diagrams is the correct type . Three AC input connections and a DC positive output with the case being the DC negative .

An AC lighting to battery charging kit is/was available that plugs into the lighting socket

convert

Otherwise you could fit a rectifier and terminal block under the cowl and wire it up as though the engine was originally fitted with battery charging.

I take it that your engine is not electric starting as that would I am sure have battery charging fitted rather than the AC lighting socket.

As none of these provide a regulated output you must not try to run accessories directly without having a battery connected ........ I inadvertently toasted my electronic autopilot by doing that !

This two diagrams show how lights should be connected to the lighting socket. Also the circuit for the four wire rectifier when that is fitted

4fd8c66a.jpg

OK Thanks. No the engine is not electric.
Any ideas what voltage that it might deliver? What fuse would be recommended? 3 A would be safe?

pacmyc

Cadet
Thanks for all your replies! Many of you write that I should use a voltage regulator. What input voltages should it be possible to handle?
Can I then connect regulated DC 12 V directly to battery?

mlaajanen

Seaman
Thanks for all your replies! Many of you write that I should use a voltage regulator. What input voltages should it be possible to handle?
Can I then connect regulated DC 12 V directly to battery?

Possible up to 20 V AC/DC (depending on where it is connected AC or DC side)

I would say do the simplest thing. But a nice looking OMC volt gauge like http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/attachments/tech-voltmeter.jpg

Then connect a rectifier and and fresh new car battery 60-70Ah, the bigger the better. Then keep an eye on the gauge and if it goes above 15-16 volt disconnect the charging cable or add some extra electric load such as running lights, thus you would create a manual regulator.

A proper regulator is otherwise around $100 I guess.

If you can design electronics yourself, then you simply put a load on the AC that cuts and creates load when voltage is above ~15V then rectifier it with a three phase rectifier.

You could also play a bit with a rectifer like the one you showed, since its a 2-phase it will less likely overcharge the battery that a 3-phase, you could even use a 1-phase rectifer in order to find the best design for you needs.

See attachement for a typical design.

Attachments

• mosfet_regulator_circuit_3_phase.png
    mosfet_regulator_circuit_3_phase.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 4

Garrett3

Recruit
Can anyone please help me find the male three pin plug? For my 1988 I'm trying to do the same thing is the ac light out to charge my battery for my bilge pump and cabin lighting

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
6 year old topic..... best to start a new one.

search the net for parts 3 pin plugs are common

some folks use solar panels to trickle charge their batteries

tphoyt

Ensign
I use a deep cycle battery and fully charge it at the beginning of my season and keep it topped off with solar charger. It will last my the whole summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.