1983 25hp Evinrude Hard to Shift Into Reverse

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This motor is new to me and is difficult to get to shift into reverse. It has the older shift rod connection with the two bolts that fit into a connector between the upper and lower shift rods. I can get it to shift to reverse easily by pressing down on the neutral shift lockout lever, so I don't think the problem is in the gearcase. The problem seems to be the little projection on the bottom of the bracket can't quite slide up out of it's groove (when in neutral) to the reverse position without a lot of force applied to the shift lever. Can the upper bolt on the shift rod connector be adjusted lower on the upper rod? I have a service manual but it doesn't address this issue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no adjustment at the shift coupler !!----Have to ask, are you turning the prop while trying to shift this motor.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am turning the prop. I looked at the motor a little more last night. It will more easily go into reverse if I put it into forward and then quickly shift into reverse, not stopping at neutral. Is that normal procedure? If so, I'd have to bump into the dock before shifting into reverse...seems problematic. Incidentally, my 1959 10hp and 1970 18hp have a shift lever adjustment bracket behind/beneath the shift lever. On those motors I can pause at neutral before shifting easily into reverse. This motor doesn't have the same shift adjustment bracket.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To correct something I said above, I can shift easily when I lift the neutral lockout lever up, not press it down.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am quite familiar with shift adjustment on the 1959 / 1970 motors you mentioned.-----Shifting on the 83 motor should be very similar.------Up to you to look at how to adjust it at the handle.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Does this have the external shift handle that the cable attaches too?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Does this have the external shift handle that the cable attaches too? On the cowl?

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Racerone, this motor doesn't have that adjustment bracket the earlier motors have. Jakedaawg, it does have the external shift handle that a cable could be attached to for remote steering, but this motor is not set up currently for remote steering. I think maybe the neutral shift llockout lever has worn out a depression on the top of the starter lockout lever, making it difficult to shift back and forth. I'll investigate some more tonight and report back.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I may have stumbled onto a solution. I don't think anything is worn; I think there's an adjustment for the shift actuator cam. Part #39 here (http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson...cfm?mdl=KCDO4Q) is called the "adjustment lever" and this post (http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-shift-problem) indicates there is indeed an adjustment for moving the shift rod up or down. I think if I can move the shift cam actuator (and presumably the shift rod) down just slightly it will shift into reverse better/easier.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at making the adjustment the guy made in the post referenced above. This doesn't adjust the actuator cam height. I adjusts the shift rod height only. I need the actuator cam to drop about 1/8". The problem is the the little nub on the bottom of the neutral shift lockout lever is binding on the actuator cam when attempting to shift out of the neutral stop depression to reverse.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I still have this motor and am still trying to fix this issue. She runs great and shifts into reverse if I slam it back from forward, but would really rather get it fixed right. I made a video at the link below looking for help:
https://youtu.be/VZ9UInZscsI

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is the piece attached to a cable or rod from the recoil. You could also throw a little lube on the end of it.