Getting ready to work on the 140

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When the crankcase is under compression, the pressure pushes the puddled fuel into the lines and subsequent pressure pulses continue to move along, either into bearings higher up, or into the intake passages of other cylinders which intake ports are opening. The check valves prevent backflow when the crankcase is under negative pressure

interalian

Commander
Finally got news back from the machine shop. The worst hole (#1 with the ringstrike on the exhaust port) is 3.5014. Well beyond hone and standard, so it's going off for a 30 thou overbore and oversize slugs.

They start putting water back in our town's lake/reservoir toward the end of April, so here's hoping to get it on the water in May!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Go ahead and have them all punched .030...the motor will love you for it!!!! .........and you will love the results!!!

interalian

Commander
Go ahead and have them all punched .030...the motor will love you for it!!!! .........and you will love the results!!!

That's the plan. Priced Wisecos vs OE and they're $10/ea more. Haven't been able to find a supplier for WSM here. Buying off the 'bay and shipping to Alberta can get expensive fast. Is a forged piston worth the extra for a motor that'll not really see extreme use?

Now, I've also read that a forged piston vs cast can complicate the bore process. Or is there any cause for concern?

interalian

Commander
Thanks for that. Pro-V pistons? Seem to have some coating for scuff resistance too.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That a moly coating for helping breakin, after a years running about 1/2 of it will be gone...The Pro-V pistons are made it Italy...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Where in Alberta are you? No dealers nearby to get BRP pistons?

interalian

Commander
Where in Alberta are you? No dealers nearby to get BRP pistons?

Chestermere. Just East of Calgary. There's little support for outboards around here, most people are now buying wakeboard boats with inboards. Local pricing is about $129/slug, same as a place I found in Ontario. Place in Florida can do it for a lot less, so shipping from there might make sense. I'll be into it for about $600 just for machine work. All pricing is CDN, currently trading around 78 cents.

Machine shop is in Edmonton, so I'll be into it for shipping. Although we're headed there at the end of the month for my son's lacrosse tournament.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Watch out for Duty and brokerage on the parts. If the pistons are actually made in the US they should be duty free, but if they are made elsewhere, duty will be added, How much? The CRA website has an estimator for duty, brokerage may be done by you or you shipper. One of the Couriers really did a number on me 10 yrs ago regarding brokerage on a radio scanner. There couple of BRPs dealer in Calgary too; . Or when you come to Edmonton, you could get them here, there are several Evinrude dealers here. I'll call someone here tomorrow for a local price and then PM you if it is better than what you were quoted.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Looking at the #1 hole, there's a hole drilled down through the block to the center main bearing for oiling the center bearing. That hole is capped with a brass plug just below the center bearing web. There's a another hole drilled from the center bearing that intersects with the hole from #1 piston, and there's a brass fitting visible from the bearing side. I think I saw mentioned this is a check valve which should be replaced, but I can't find the part on the BRP site.

Presumably when the cylinder is re-bored, chaff from that process will go down the hole and would need to be cleaned out before reassembly. Presumably the machine shop knows all about this issue and takes care of it, but I'd like to know just in case.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Take nothing for granted, wash and oil the block when you get it back...

interalian

Commander
Of course. I'm beyond obsessive when it comes to things like this. Other than removing the plug and valve(?), not sure how I'd get the passage clean.

interalian

Commander
----You should replace the check valve at the center bearing too.---A bit spendy for the valve but it should be replaced.

I've been trying to find the check valve noted above but have been informed "The part is not available separately and it’s pressed in by the factory – it really shouldn’t be tampered with". I went to test whether the valve works by putting my vacuum tester in the recess and it MOVED down in the bore. I can pull it back out part way by hand threading a screw into the front, but it doesn't come out of the bore.

Ideas?

Part of my concern is whether junk from boring will go into the passage, and how to clean that out so it a) doesn't get into the bearing, and b) doesn't plug the passage.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Oh, and as a fun side note, I popped the water pump off the donor motor today. See anything amiss?

interalian

Commander
Block is back from the machine shop. I made a motor stand from plywood and a spare adapter casting - handy.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
So I'm looking at the new parts and seems they've changed the way the piston pins fit. No longer a press fit into the piston - the wrist pin slides in with finger pressure. Didn't know that. And here I was all ready to sublet the press job to a machine shop.

interalian

Commander
After a brief hiatus, the powerhead is all assembled. Dropped it on the leg this evening with the help of a reluctant 14yo since I don't have a hoist anymore. Even with the friction from the new waterpump, the motor turns by hand just with the flywheel nut.

Got more gaskets to scrape for the bypass covers and lots of other dressing to do.

Last edited: