Getting ready to work on the 140

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to work on the 140

After much procrastination, the 140 project is ready to hang on a standared automotive engine stand. I'd thought of building something out of wood but found this locally for $40. Why not?
    '83 Springbok 16' with Franken Xflow, in Southern Alberta. If it ain't smokin', it must be broken.
    Avatar: "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch" - Zappa
    My 90-140 engine up-build thread: http://tinyurl.com/hz8uv47

Wood engine stands work fine. At work we made ones that incorporated 4 dolly wheels so they were easy to move around the shop-with the engines mounted. Your engine weighs in at around 300 lbs.

Comment

Yes, I know how much it weighs. Back in the '80s when I worked as a mechanic's assistant in a local marina, I was at a bankruptcy sale stripping outboards out of boats. One gung-ho guy (owner's son, and not the brightest bulb) was busy unbolting a 90 from the same boat I was busy stripping controls and instruments. He had the last bolt out before I realized what he was doing, then the motor fell off and pinned him on the floor. Picked the motor up off him then waited for the ambulance. Not a good day, but he lived.

And the engine stand is rated for 1000 pounds. And it has wheels. And it knocks down for storage. Win win.
      '83 Springbok 16' with Franken Xflow, in Southern Alberta. If it ain't smokin', it must be broken.

Comment

Took my 1982 Johnson 140 off of the boat to replace the transom and do some motor work during the winter. Was able to bull dog it off of the boat with the help of three friends. Bought a block and tackle from tractor supply and hoisted it up in the garage until I could get it mounted on the stand I built. Probably looking at an engine lift or some other set-up to re-mount the motor. it is every bit of #300 and it is a very top heavy awkward weigh to try and move around.

Comment

This kind of stand and base, maybe: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...FdU7gQodvhQFhw Thinking I might get one of those to use with my smaller motors too (just rig a mounting plate). Advantage with that leg assembly is that a barrel could fit underneath for testing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	S4010340.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	10131987 I use one I have a 70 hp on it right now. Here is what you need to know. With My 70 hp I can trim it up all the way and it is pretty stable if I take the lower unit off it will tip over. A V4 will be more top heavy so what I do is I will put a hoist on the powerhead to hold it up if I need to pull the lower or tip it up to work on it.. You may also want to put wedges in so the motor is straight up and down.

Comment

maybe weld or bolt in a simple brace assembly in front for balance/safety. Like the idea of the two leg base in the one online for use with outboards, though probably not any more stable -- would try to use it for storage and roll-out testing.

Comment

Mine looks just like the Jeg's link. And to help hang it straight, you can see I put the lower arms on the front face of the plate and the upper arms on the back. Gives an angle approximate to transom angle. I like the idea of an anti-tip brace on the front for tilt operations. Right now, I just need it up off the floor so I can pull the heads, bypass covers, flywheel etc.

Comment

Here she be.

Comment

Nicely done, interalien.

Comment

Started stripping the donor down. Pulled the bypass covers off and piston 1 has most of the top ring gone. The rest of the pistons have unbroken rings. All pistons are very loose in bore, but how loose is too loose? I think this pig has been repaired before.

Here are the heads. Hole 1 has minor ring dent damage, 3 has significant prior damage and evidence it was smoothed a bit for a prior repair. Port head gasket is blown between cylinders 2 and 4. Starboard gasket is OK.

Here's number 1 at bottom. Evidence of ringstrike at the exhaust port. Probably didn't help that the water deflecor is blocking flow, right?

Here's number 3 at bottom. No evidence of ring bits coming through the piston crown.

Here's number 2 at bottom. No evidence of damage on piston or head.

Here's number 4 at bottom. No evidence of damage on piston or head.

Got the bubble off. Center bolt (the really long one that's only accessible once the back cover is off) was very loose. Doesn't appear to be any evidence of gasket leakage or casting erosion.

Here's number 1 at top. Some small holes around the crown where the top ring bits came through.

Last edited by interalian; March 12th, 2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Piston wobble.

Last edited by interalian; March 12th, 2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Probably a broken ring if you rebuild it use wiseco pistons

Comment

My thought is to use the '79 140 donor crank case and heads for a rebuild, then pop the assembly on my '82 90 leg using all the electrics from the '82. Whoever was in the 140 previously made a big mess of the wiring. I know my wiring, lower unit, and T&T are in good shape. No idea about the leg on the 140, and I know the T&T is dead on the donor.

Comment

The exhaust cover may not be perfectly flat to the crankcase. If you look at the lower left exhaust filler block, it appears somewhat blackened and oily-right where the gasket would sit. Some exhaust may be going around the gasket. The seal/gasket is perfect- where the gasket surface is shiny. Probably leaking where it is blackened. Good catch on the one bad/misplaced rubber water diverter.

Comment

Working...
                              X