150xp prop help

Status
Not open for further replies.

torabuff

Cadet
150xp prop help

I need help with the correct prop or at least a starting point<br />I just bought a 95 hydra sports 19'cc running i think a <br />90? (e150stlesb) erude 150xp twisting a 14x17 3 blade ss prop <br />no idea on the pitch. I have an intermittent <br />tach problem so i haven't really figured out my WOT rpm but the major problem is getting on plane<br />it took appx 30 seconds with the bow sky high in slight to moderate chop. I trimmed all the way in to way beyond where I should of been back with no change<br />the motor is sitting right as far as height (plate exact at the v bottom) so I was thinking prop was an issue. motor trimmed all in is neg of vertical on the transom when the boat is level so I think transome wedges aren't really the answer.<br />eng runs ok after on plane and was bought with a fresh tune from a cert repair shop. VRO is disconnected. I appreciate any help<br />Steve

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 150xp prop help

First thing, if you can verify compresion was good, we'll move on.<br />You state it's turning a 14X17 but don't know the pitch. 17 IS the pitch if the prop has never been worked.<br />You may have to drill vent holes in the hub to help, but a jackplate may be more effective over-all.<br />What was the Max RPM you ever seen on the tach (if it worked at any time)?<br />The tach must be replaced to accurately determine RPM. We are looking only for correct RPM as set-up data to start with.<br />I have basically the same engine on an 18ft6"<br />deep V except mine is a GT 200, but earlier years, so they should be real close in performance. The 17 should rocket you out of the hole. We run a stock 175 on a 23 CC and it runs a 17 as well, but we've got more boat there in that cases.<br />Hang with us on this and keep in touch.

torabuff

Cadet

thanks for a start, working on the tach now and taking the boat out in an hour or so <br />to really find out whats up<br />BTW its a 14x19 my alum prop is a 14x17 that I havent run yet.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Is the boat on a trailer or in the water all the time. Just wondering cause it sounds like you might of had alot of water ie-weight in the hull. I had this happen on my last boat when my bilge pump went bad and the hull was full of water from overwash once I manually pumped it out the problem getting on plane went away

torabuff

Cadet

Okay just got back from the bay and performance was just as bad, though the tach was working.<br />I definitely have a 14x19 and the best I could twist was 5000 rpm at WOT with myself and one other on board, planing was a bit better at about 15 to 20 seconds with the motor trimmed all the way in. it only got worse as i<br />trimmed out. motor was running rich and loading up a bit after long idiling but the accelleration really didnt change to get on plane once we ran it awhile. thats why I'm leaning to changing props maybe back off to a 17 pitch and going up to maybe a 15?<br />BTW the compression is within a few psi on each cyl so that kinda rules out that deal<br />I was gonna try the 14x17 alum prop but its toast.<br />and the hull had little water in it so that wasn't a problem<br />thanks again for the advice<br />steve

torabuff

Cadet

p.s. my cav plate is appx 1/2 inch higher than the bottom of the vee and got one hole left up<br />also the boat porposies when I up the trim off its in limit which is where I got max rpm and <br />speed 5000r's and 42 mph

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I suspect that your motor is not running as it should. You should jump out of the water with your set-up with either prop. I would think you could easily over rev your motor with the 17. Your certified repair shop missed something as another clue is the 5000 rpm at WOT. You should be turning at least 5500. Are all plugs firing and will the spark jump a 1/2" gap? Timing? Sync & linc?

torabuff

Cadet

you got me thinking, so I pulled the plugs and <br />all six we wet with fuel so I think I got a rich problem too which I needd to remedy before <br />I mess with the prop. all my cyls were <br />equally warm when I did the flush out this eve<br />so I think they're all firing. gonna get the service manual tomorrow and start with <br />a complete check up.<br />thanks again

walleyehed

Admiral

Only way to check the plugs is kill the engine with the key at wide open throttle...then pull a plug at a time and look.<br />Once you go to Idle, yes, they will be wet.<br />The 17 will get you in the 5400RPM range, 56-5700 would be better.<br />As I said before, we run a 175 Looper with a 17 on a 23' C.C., and 5200 is all it will do with one guy,...I don't like it, it needs the engine raised, but the Marina owns the boat and they won't let us (Techs) lift it because all it's used for is to tow Yachts.<br />Without a jackplate, you may have to live with the 17.

LubeDude

Admiral

Im leaning on the side of Walleyehed here, also a bit surprised he hasnt recomended raising your engine the next hole just to see what it does for you. Drilling the prop will help also.

walleyehed

Admiral

Only reason I haven't mentioned drilling holes is once on plane, the holes do no good.

torabuff

Cadet

checked the eng out today and all is well asss far as timing & sync and linc according to the <br />manual so I,m gonna go with a 14 1/4 x 17 prop next. BTW how or where do you drill the prop?<br />thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

Try the 17 first, see how it planes out. Next, I would go up one more hole and test with the 17 in place. The only reason to drill holes is if we really need help with hole-shot, which would be ok to do because it won't affect top-end.<br />Let's see what you get before we drill holes.

torabuff

Cadet

sounds like a plan<br />thanks for the advice!<br />steve

torabuff

Cadet

Just curious but what would going to a <br />15x17 do for me over a 14x17 prop?

walleyehed

Admiral

More blade area would give a little more "push" coming out of the hole, but also in some cases, the extra blade area causes extra drag, in other cases, it helps when surfacing conditions occure.<br />To Honestly answer that question best would be to test both. There just isn't a cut and dried formula for one boat.<br /><br />EDIT: you've got me wondering about your true diameter.....14 in those pitches in aluminum is common to 13 spline V4 applications...the 19 should be close to 14-1/2, and the 17 should be 15 in diameter. at least that is "semi-standard" diameters for the apps. in aluminum for V6 applications.

torabuff

Cadet

sounds right, my alum prop is a 14 1/2x19 <br />so If I get another alum prop in a 19 pitch<br />It'll in reality be a 15 in?<br />the current prop I'm running is a Solas 14x19<br />stainless though. <br />Should I buy an alum hub and separate blades<br />or a one peice unit like my ss. taking into consideration i cant afford a stainless unit right now with xmas <br />my prop budget is abt 150.00<br />steve

walleyehed

Admiral

stick with what you can afford.<br />The stainless props are usually slightly smaller diameter because they are more efficient.<br />Maybe look ahead for a stainless in the future.

esam1152

Recruit
MOD EDIT - Soliciting, not to mention the thread is 13 years old.

Thanks,

Ed S

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.