tohatsu remote control cable

Capt Dor

Recruit
I got a 1998 Tohatsu engine given to me it is a m9.8b ser number 10503. I am going to install in to a sailboat the has a remote control the engine (already setup for remote control but wire cut at the control head) came with all the wire but I am not sure what each color is for. The cable has has 5 wires in it red, black, brown, blue, and green. Red is hot I am sure and mounted to the bat + on the starter solenoade. and green appears the solenoide edge and with a black wire to ground, I know the blue wire is chock leaving brown and black. can anyone give me what they are so I can wire it up? also what shift and throttle cables are needed

thank you for all your help

pvanv

Admiral
Brown is the kill wire from the CD. Black is ground. Grounding brown to black stops the motor.

Do you have the proper Tohatsu control box, or something else? If it is not the correct Tohatsu control, you will be chasing the wiring diagram. Also, if it has proprietary throttle/shift cables (as some older OMC controls), you are better off getting rid of it for the correct control.

Yes, red is power, Green is solenoid trigger, blue is choke.
On a Tohatsu RC box, blue is activated when you push the key (push to choke).
Any Morse-type throttle-shift cables will work at the motor end, but if your motor is not already a Remote model, you will need an SRC kit to get the attachment points for the cables.

If your motor is already a Remote type, the wiring connects, color-for-color, at the wiring block on the port side of the motor.

Full info is in your Factory service manual, available from any Tohatsu dealer. Also on p8 of your owner's manual at http://tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh8B_98B.pdf

Capt Dor

Recruit
Paul,

thank you so much for your help! it was awesome I spent time looking at the diagrams and called the local authorized dealer who was completely rude. no I do not have the "proper" control I will have to use what is in the boat but maybe replace the starting switch with the right one but the levers no Molded in to the cockpit. you said brown is the kill from the CD (what is a CD) also you mentioned a SRC kit I will assume that is a kit to make it remote? I the motor was a remote already and is setup for it (no handle came with it) it does have the battery wires to it and the remote control wires as well as a line to run clean water to it. on the side it has the cable bracket and the thottle does come out and has a ball fitting but the shifter has no fitting on it. from the remote wire I was able get it to crank and chock to work, I have not tried to start yet as I have to find the fitting for the fuel connection.

so I buy the fuel connector, and cables and the ends

I have downloaded the manual and thank you, I think I need to find the service manual for it as well.

AGAIN THANK YOU for everything

Dor

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
002-21030-5_FIG14.JPG
Sounds like you are already setup as remote... cool.

The CD is the Capacitive Discharge ignition module (the magneto). If you ground Brown, the motor stops.

The Remote kit uses a special cable end that does a twist into the shifter arm. See the diagram. The end bits are available. Use standard 3300 Morse cables. I like the Hi Lex cables that Tohatsu sells.

The 2-stroke fuel connectors are different at the motor and tank (so you can't connect the primer backwards); sometimes it's cheapest to just get the complete primer hose with bulb, fittings, and all. But then the tank fitting is still needed... they are the same for all Tohatsu/Nissan outboards -- 2 or 4 stroke.

Service manuals are still available; just ask for the one for the 1- and 2-cylinder 2-strokes. About $40 or so. Don't bother with an aftermarket manual -- too general to be of much use.