Broken antiventilation plate

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have a 7.5 honda outboard. On the side of the lower unit there is a large piece broken off.Outboard_motor_drawing.jpg They call it the antiventilation plate. I have never driven it with this intacked, and on a 14' jonboat this thing wont get out of it's own way. Also it stalles after running it at full throttle for a minute or so. Not sure if I am underpowered or this "plate" plays a role in the performance. Any advise?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broken antiventilation plate

It's full name implies, prop spinning at high rpm will tend to aerate, much worst if water flow skims near AV plate. Is the broken piece missing ? If not, will need to have it welded back at a outboard shop to work as it was designed to do its homework. Anyway a 7.5 is a very poor performer for a 14" boat. Check prop for a spun prop..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral

Get you a piece of about 1/4inch aluminum plate, cut and grind it to fit where it's broken, get a welder to weld it on, sand, grind, paint and you're good to go!...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

^+1, or find someone who welds, and thats what they will do. Make sure you pull your drain plug when you weld. if not, the air heats up enough to pop out one of the seals.