very hard to start Honda 9.9

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
new to me but used 2003 Honda.

I use this as a trolling motor. Once running its great, but it is a beast to start first time in the morning.

I'm not new to outboards by any means, but am new to Honda's and 4 strokes.

I've completely rebuilt the carb, new plug and I've tried every variation of starting that I can come up with and it always comes down to pulling it 25-30 times before it will fire up.

any helpful suggestions?

thanks,

FishHog

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: very hard to start Honda 9.9

Not knowing anything more about your situation, have you tried squirting some 50:1 fuel into the carb and see if that helps start it? DON'T use conventional starter fluid because it washes any oil off the bearings and such. You haven't mentioned if your engine is getting fuel properly or the choke is working or anything else about your engine. Does is smell like it is flooding or what... We all need more info to help further... :confused:

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not knowing anything more about your situation, have you tried squirting some 50:1 fuel into the carb and see if that helps start it? DON'T use conventional starter fluid because it washes any oil off the bearings and such. You haven't mentioned if your engine is getting fuel properly or the choke is working or anything else about your engine. Does is smell like it is flooding or what... We all need more info to help further... :confused:

Thanks for the help. All indications are that there is good fuel, but I will try removing the air box and trying squirting some fuel directly into the carb my next time out. But I don't really think that is the issue. Choke appears to be working fine, that was my first thought also but verified it was functioning when I did the complete carb overhaul.

I am very familiar with outboards, and have been working on 2 strokes for years. I think I've verified everything is working as it should. That is why I'm finding my experience with my first 4 stroke so frustrating.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it start more easily when throttled up somewhat higher than idle? If so, can't hurt to carefully check and clean the low speed idle jet. On my '91-ish 8HP, it is on top of the carb and easy to remove. Whenever I have had hard starting/idling problems (a few times in a few seasons) cleaning the center bore orifice carefully always helped.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the tip, but it was completely cleaned and made no difference. Maybe I should just stick with my two strokes

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check the valve clearances. As the valve seats wear, it will lose compression leading to hard starting if the valves get too tight. Also 4 strokes often like a little throttle to start, try 1/8 to 1/4. I assume you are pumping the ball tight before you start?

Disclaimer : I am at the sys doctor right now with dismayed eyes waiting for an exam so I can't see what I am typing on my phone.;)

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys will give these tips a try

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

One more thought. I have learned that cold small 4 strokes often require you to pull the rope like you really mean it. The motor needs to spin quickly to start when cold.

Cliff Xmas

Recruit

Hi, try it with no choke, they don't like to much fuel