7 hp honda start up

ifishy

Cadet
I have been having trouble with my 66 johnson on my boat. I have a low budget for it so it may be getting the toss. My father is loaning me the kicker from his old boat which he sold a while ago. It is a 7hp honda I believe it is a 4 stroke and is likely a mid 80s model but could be as late as mid 90s I will know more when I get my hands on it. It has not been started in about 5 years as he no longer has a boat. I will change the oil get new plugs and change the gear oil. What else should I do before trying to start it. should I get some seafoam or other carb cleaner and after that long will I have to remove the carb and take it apart or will the sea foam be enough. Is there any other trouble spot I should check out that could cause damage if I dont check it first? my current motor I had a mechanic get going and I have only done maintence since so this will be my first ressurection.

PS when last run it did start on one pull and run with no issues but that was awhile ago.

truhl_58

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 7 hp honda start up

I just bought a 5 hp Honda that didn't run for 5 or more years. I hooked up a fuel tank with new fuel, pumped up the bulb, choked it and it started on the second pull no problems. It wouldn't hurt to change the oil in the motor and lower end but if it starts and runs and you have good water out the pee hole I would go fishing. You might think about changing the water pump at some time but if you have good flow I would use it. I don't think you will need to do anything with the carb, I would not even use the seafoam think positive it's a Honda.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have trouble starting it, I'd clean the carb and make sure the low speed jet is clean. If it has been a while, may want to put in a new impeller in case the old dried out.

ifishy

Cadet

changed the oil and gear oil the old stuff came out like pine tar got new plugs hooked it up pulled the cord and nothing I get compression but I dont think I am getting any spark at all is there a likely reason? if not I will wait till it warms up a bit get out there with the tester and start going through every electrical path piece by piece. the oil light turns green when i pull the cord so it is generating electrisity but thats all I can say for sure

truhl_58

Seaman Apprentice

Did you check the kill switch ? Maybe the emergency cord and clip are not in place, that would kill the spark.

ifishy

Cadet

its not that kind of kill switch its a push button I even just went to double check because I am polish and it is possible

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my Honda 8HP you need to push the clip into the slot on the kill button in order to hold it up - is yours like that? If it is like the 8, and mine is about a '92 or so, the button closes the circuit when you push it, killing the spark. The clip holds it up, so the circuit isn't closed when running. Just in case it is a defective switch, trace the wires into the engine compartment and disconnect one of them where the plug goes in. If you see a spark then, you know it's the switch and not one of the more expensive parts.