2011 tohatsu 50tldi problems

50tldi

Recruit
Bought the motor brand new in February and in October had the air injectors changed because motor did not want to start right up after long run. Problem was fixed. Well 3 weeks ago motor would run good but then would sound like it would have a mis and run bad, I would idle down it would clear up in 10 seconds and run great. The problem got worse brought it to shop and they had it for 2 weeks and said the air injector was bad again. Got it back and went out this past weekend and motor did not want to idle, it idle rought and up and down with the rpm. Took off and ran good when running, slow down to under 2000 rpm and did the same, rough and up and down rpm. Any ideas? Bought a brand new motor so i wouldnt have to worry about anything and this hunting season has been problems, brand new motor problems. Starting to wish i never sold my old mercury to get new tohatsu. Any comments are welcome, thanks.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2011 tohatsu 50tldi problems

Your dealer should be able to help you. What diagnostic codes did he get from the motor? How fresh is the fuel? What kind of oil are you running? How do the plugs look?

levi_tsk

Ensign

can you say lemon law?? this is the third time for the same problem id make em get me a new motor ..... i dont know what state you live in but most of them have lemon laws that state if a consumer expieriences muliple recurrences of a problem then that consumer may after the 3rd recurrence DEMAND a new product or the return of his/her money - id make em give me a new motor that ones eating those air injectors, thats not to say tohatsu is a bad motor just that that particular one IS bad.

50tldi

Recruit

not sure what diagnostic codes he got form the motor but he had it for 2 weeks and had to call tohatsu to figure out the problem. The gas is new and ethanol free. Im running the tohatsu oil. And i change the plugs today just to make sure and it did the same thing. Start right up but wouldnt idle right and if i rev it to 2000 rpm it would not stay at that rpm, it would drop down and almost kill and idle rough and up and down.

pvanv

Admiral

We don't have any real data [yet] on what has happened. We only know some symptoms, and they seem to be different from the original issue. The current problem may well have different causes. Also, something obscure may have been missed in diagnosis. Since it seems we have good fuel and oil (the most common problems), it's time to have the dealer check out the motor, run diagnostics, and do some testing. Could be almost anything, from a pressure regulator to a cracked reed, to a flaky TPS.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It sounds more like the system is not getting the correct electrical voltage it needs to initialize and maintain the ignition system. Could be anything from too small of a battery, bad battery, loose connection or bad wiring....Or it one of a hundred other causes. The engine's onboard diagnostic computer can/does/will tell the story as to what the problem actually is. What's your engine's serial number and I will pull up it's service record to see what has or has not been looked at.

50tldi

Recruit

Boat is in shop right now and talked to the guy today and said the motor had no codes on it but he did say he thinks its not getting fuel to #3. He has been on the phone with tohatsu all week to figure it out but no luck let. Brand new battary (the one recommended by dealer) and all connections are good. Not sure of the serial number and dont have boat with me.