Changing throttle cam on Nissan/Tohatsu 9.9 with boat in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

panewbee

Recruit
See that several people have changed out the throttle cam on their Tohatsu 9.9 to take it to 15 hp. Everybody reports this as an easy changeout, but we have the boat in the water, and since the screws that hold the cam go in from under the coil plate and flywheel, it seems really tricky to get the old cam out and the new one in (too little clearance). I've looked all through the manual, but it looks like my only two choices are to take the engine off the boat, so I can lay it down and change it easily, or I have to pull the recoil starter, flywheel and coil plate assy. so that I can flip the plate over and change out the cam. I am new at outboard boat maintenance, so maybe I'm missing something about how to do this easily. Any help?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Changing throttle cam on Nissan/Tohatsu 9.9 with boat in water

Pull the starter housing, disconnect the timing link, turn the coil plate exposing the two bolts on the cam....That's it. Five minutes at most, ten if you are scared of making a mistake, twenty if you are dumb as a tree stump, an hour if you are an engineer:)

panewbee

Recruit

You may not only be a guru, you are psychic. I am a retired engineer (mechanical). :)I had been tempted to remove the 3 screws that hold the manual starter on, but couldn't tell if that would allow pieces to dislodge as I raised it. You're right, this should take no time at all. Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Do you need to play with advancer arm stopper for the roller to move further on left can extreme + roller rod height adjustment to open carb butterfly position to 180? at wot, or it's just a cam swap and that's all to it ?

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Just the swap. No other adjustments.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You may not only be a guru, you are psychic. I am a retired engineer (mechanical). :)I had been tempted to remove the 3 screws that hold the manual starter on, but couldn't tell if that would allow pieces to dislodge as I raised it. You're right, this should take no time at all. Thanks

Maybe I'm psychotic? :)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just the swap. No other adjustments.

Thanks TG, incredible how can a simple cam swap change engine's HP to better boat's performance.

Happy Boating

kkalaska

Recruit
Have a 1987 9.9 OB Nissan want to change the throttle cam removed starter housing, disconnected, linkages, wire harness hold down, I cant rotate enough to remove 2 nd bolt holding throttle cam. It rotates till bracket hits back of motor no clearance. Only solution I can see is remove fly wheel and am reluctant to do so.

pvanv

Admiral
This is a really old thread. Start a new one. What is your actual model?

Status
Not open for further replies.