Cotter pin sizes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotter pin sizes?

I need to go buy new cotter pins for two of my motors while I have the props off (pre season prop shaft inspection).

Does anyone know what size the propeller cotter pin is on a 2002 Nissan 3.5 HP 2 stroke? Whoever had it before me, put a very large pin that looks like its the wrong pin altogether.

Also, I have a 2007 Mercury (Tohatsu) 6 HP, and I think the pin is 1 inch long. But again, I do not know the exact specification for the pin. Just want to make sure that I buy the correct pins.

Re: Cotter pin sizes?

Remember that Tohatsu/Nissan OB's don't get serviced by year, but rather by precise model/serial.

The NS3.5B2 uses a 4mm pin, 35mm long. Yes, it looks pretty big. Of course, its only purpose is to retain the prop on the shaft, via a groove in the shaft.
    The MFS6B uses a 3mm pin, 18mm long.
    Paul
    Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

After getting ripped for about $1.50 each for SS cotter pins at boat dealer, just bought 100 for $8 at local nut/bolt/industrial supply store. I think mine are about 1/8"X1", but they work fine, just so they're stainless steel and about right for hole in prop shaft. Good Luck!

Comment

Yes, 100% correct, individual pins are pricey. It's a matter of paying more for the packaging and handling than the actual product. For reference, the Tohatsu pricing for the 4/5/6 cotter is: 9515030318M SPLIT PIN (10 MULTIPLE) $0.60.
        Paul
        Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
        Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Thank you Paul for the pin measurements.

I agree too, it's usually a lot cheaper to get these pins from a hardware store, SS of course.

Comment

Working...
          X