2007 Mercuy (Tohatsu) 6HP flush plug

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
So in the little toolkit that came with my 6HP is a flush plug that screws into the engine after you pull a specific bolt as shown in the manual. That process looks simple and staightforward.

What the manual does not show, is how you are supposed to attach a hose to the flush fitting in the first place. It does not screw onto a garden hose. They only way I see to attach a hose is to cut the end off and clamp it on. Am I missing something too obvious here?

Here is what it looks like.

303041_t.jpg

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2007 Mercuy (Tohatsu) 6HP flush plug

You are correct. The hose attaches to the adapter with a hose clamp. We make up short pieces of hose with a garden hose female on one end and the adapter on the other.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Great, thank you pvanv. I will be getting a short hose today to do just that.

Thanks again. :)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

One issue probably not mentioned in the manual is, if using flush plug, will need to tape existing 2 lower tail water intakes to avoid low water pressure failure on system, if that engine has a third water intake under anticavitation plate, seal it also. Can use duck tape to seal all three intakes. No need to place a clamp on plug, just match with same size diameter hose and push it all the way, use some grease if difficult to push dry.

On my 18 horse, ear muffs set is used with closed hose water intake, no need to close third intake as pressure is very strong. Just flush untill engine dies out of gas.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Flushing.JPG
    Flushing.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Sea Rider, thanks for the advice on getting the fitting on the hose.

Just wanted to point out a few things though.

The 4-5-6 HP Tohatsu (Nissan/Mercury) does not have water intakes on the sides of the lower unit. The only intake is on the underside of the anti-cavitation plate, right above the prop. No way to use muffs on these engines. I'm not sure at what HP that they have the side intakes.

The manual also states to not run the engine if using the flush plug.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

[QUOTE The manual also states to not run the engine if using the flush plug.[/QUOTE]

Used to have a Tohatsu 05 Hp, 2T engine, that was flushed until it died out of fuel using the flush adapter, the manual was very light about stating literally to flush with engine on/off.

Remove the water plug on the Drive Shaft Housing and screw the flushing plug. Connect a hose to this adaptor and flush out the system with fresh water.

So flush was made with engine on for years with no problem whatsoever. The flush port was located under the head, and water strainer unde cav plate, same as yours. Side intakes are for next bigger engines. 2 strokes, 4-5 & 6 has no internal thermostat, that's why doesn't need to turn engine on for flushing as you will need to do on bigger engines that has thermostats.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

The 4/5/6 does indeed have a thermostat. The flushing plug is located immediately next to the telltale, so pressurizing there is essentially backflushing with fresh water. You do not need to run the motor to flush these.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The 4/5/6 does indeed have a thermostat. The flushing plug is located immediately next to the telltale, so pressurizing there is essentially backflushing with fresh water. You do not need to run the motor to flush these.

If being same 4 strokes, have thermostats.