Short shaft availability....or long shaft to short shaft conversion

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I repowered a 1950s Orlando Clipper tinny from a 1968 55 HP Johnson to a 40HP Nissan.

At the time that I bought the motor it was the most HP in a short shaft that I could find.
I hadn't found this website yet so all the research and options were what I found myself. I was hoping for a 50HP SS but 40HP was as big as I could find.

Although it is too late and i don't need to change anything now, I have wondered, and might as well ask....

Would it have been possible and/or feasible to convert from a 50 HP log shaft to a short shaft?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Short shaft availability....or long shaft to short shaft conversion

The 40 and 50 are the same engine so..........

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The 40 and 50 are the same engine so..........

Arrrrrrrrrrggghhhh....I think....:eek:

So the extra length is probably an insert piece that could have been removed if I had bought the 50HP long shaft and the drive shaft would have had to be replaced?
It likely would have been more $$ than I would have wanted to spend at the time.

What is the actual difference between the 40and 50 that give it the extra 10 HP?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"So the extra length is probably an insert piece that could have been removed if I had bought the 50HP long shaft"

No, the intermediate motor leg would have to be changed out as well as the water tube, shift rod and drive shaft. Around $700.00 in parts.

Depends on which series of 40/50 you have. All have the same leg system, but, some have different carbs and exhaust pipes, some have different blocks and cranks and some have different ECUs.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

It's a 2005 Nissan 40 HP 2-stroke

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Years don't mean anything and aren't used. It's all about model and serial number.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

It's an NSD-40.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you have a TLDI then the ECM would have to be changed.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, can you mount the motor 5 inches higher on your transom? That is a quick fix to convert a long shaft to a short shaft. I have seen this done but do not know the effect on performance. Just thinking about it, I can not see any effect other than appearance.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hmm, can you mount the motor 5 inches higher on your transom? That is a quick fix to convert a long shaft to a short shaft. I have seen this done but do not know the effect on performance. Just thinking about it, I can not see any effect other than appearance.

It would raise COG too much.
The 40 HP is a perfectly good match for the boat, and the Nissan is a sweet motor.
I was just curious whether i missed any options, and if by some miraccle and alignment of stars and moon I could buy parts to upgrade it to 50 HP for a few hundred $$$ I would probably consider it.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Then you don't have a NSD40...So, what do you have?

pvanv

Admiral

Sounds like you have the NSD40, which is a TLDI. To upgrade to a 50, you would change the ECM.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

OK, NOT NSD40, it's NS40D

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

A 40 D could be either a block, crank, carbs and pipe change or just a carbs and pipe change. Depends on the serial number.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

A 40 D could be either a block, crank, carbs and pipe change or just a carbs and pipe change. Depends on the serial number.

Is this the serial number or just full model # => NS40D2EPT01

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That's a model number...It also means you need three new carbs and an exhaust pipe to turn it into a 50 if your serial number is 47846 or higher.