Honda BF-90 valve adjustment

sr17

Cadet
I have a 1999 Honda BF-90 that runs perfectly but according to the schedule, it is due for a valve adjustment.

Last time I had Honda do it for a fairly hefty price.:(

I would like to have someone else do it this time, or might attempt to do it myself. Would this be unwise?

Is there anything in particular that makes it difficult to do on this particular engine?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda BF-90 valve adjustment

Accsess to those bottom set of valves is frustrating at best.A nice set of right angle feelers is helpfull.

sr17

Cadet

Accsess to those bottom set of valves is frustrating at best.A nice set of right angle feelers is helpfull.

Thank you for the advice Hondon, I had the feeling that this is not a very basic diy job.

gss036

Commander

The Honda guy that works on my Honda 225 says he likes to wait until at least 400 hours to do/check the valves and said most never need to be touched even then.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

There is certainly a maintenance reccomendation for this engine,and it is funny how much that reccomendation changes with the complexity of the job.Keep in mind that as valves wear in they get tighter and a tight valve can really ruin your day.That adjustment procedure is frustrating and awkward but worth a look if you are haveing hard starting or uneven idle issues.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just looking at the Honda recommended service interval for these motors, I see it is 200 hours or ever year for a valve adjustment. That is good to know that an uneven idle or starting issues could indicate the need for a valve adjustment. I have a 2008 50hp and had the valves adjusted at the end of the season last year. I planned to have my Honda dealer do it again this year. Just curious as to how hard is it for a 50 hp Honda? The reason I asked is that my Honda dealer did not charge me for the valve adjustment last season. He did owe me a few things. But I would have thought I would have gotten a bill if it was a labor intensive issue for a 50 hp. Maybe he did not even adjust them since the motor was running perfectly.

sr17

Cadet

The reason for starting this tread was that I got charged over $400 for a 200 hour service on my Honda 90. The main component of this I believe was the valve adjustment, but it also included the usual stuff - oil, filter, gear oil, grease. Seems pretty steep to me. hondon, maybe you can tell us whether this is fair, based on what is involved?

I have racked up another 200 hours (in one season of boating:eek:) and am looking to have the job done again.

My automotive mechanic is competent and quite reasonable. Since this is basically a Honda Civic engine, would it be safe to have him do the job, rather than the Honda marine guy?

The engine is running great, lots of power and idles beautifully all day when trolling, but I have noticed that it has gotten slightly harder to start warm - cold starts are no issue. Is this likely valve related?

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The standard generic charge for winterization around where I live is $99 for a 2 stroke and $149 for a 4 stroke. For the Honda that would include gear oil/new o-rings, motor oil/filter, and squirting some oil in the cylinders. I did this myself and it took me 2 hours and parts might have been $35. For your 200 hour service, you may have also gotten new spark plugs and a new fuel filter. So maybe that is another $30 in parts and 1 hour labor. All this stuff does add up so $400 may not be too bad if you break down the individual costs.

I also would be curious to know how long it would take to do a valve adjustment (for your 90 hp and my 50 hp if you don't mind me highjacking your thread).

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Just a valve adjustment on the 50 I would go out an honest hour if they were to spec.The 90 tack on another half.People need to keep in mind that in this industry we really have to clean up after ourselves and carry some liability not associated with our automotive colleagues.No oil slicks,and you ca'nt just stick out your thumb if things are wrong.

sr17

Cadet

Just a valve adjustment on the 50 I would go out an honest hour if they were to spec.The 90 tack on another half.People need to keep in mind that in this industry we really have to clean up after ourselves and carry some liability not associated with our automotive colleagues.No oil slicks,and you ca'nt just stick out your thumb if things are wrong.

Thanks hondon, this was exactly the info I was looking for - now if you were a little bit closer, I'd bring the boat to you and ask you to do the job for me :D

Have a feeling that my local marine mechanic will not be that reasonable. But as you said, it needs to be done right - sticking out your thumb when 20 miles offshore is hardly a viable option.