2000 model 90hp honda outboard - Cold start problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 model 90hp honda outboard - Cold start problems

I've been having horrible problems starting my 2000 model 90hp Honda outboard. Once I get it started and let it idle for a few minutes, it runs really nicely and will always crank back up very easily. The problem is getting it started the first time. I prime the bulb until it's hard, and I push in the key to activate the choke (yes, I confirmed the choke works), and turn the key and the engine will start turning, but it never completely fires up. I usually have to continue trying for at least 5 minutes before it will start to fire up. It then takes another minute before it will finally stay fired. I sometimes try it without giving any gas at all. Other times I give it a little gas. It does the same thing no matter what I try. I sometimes start to wonder whether my battery will end up dying because I keep the key engaged so long trying to get it to crank. I have ensured the battery is fully charged and I've got a very good connection. Once I'm cranked, it will run all day. I dry store the boat each evening, and the next day I go through the same routine to get it started. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    - Scott at Lake Norman

Re: 2000 model 90hp honda outboard - Cold start problems

My 1998 90 is exactly the same and it sucks
    A can of worms gets eaten one bite at a time

Comment

Re: 2000 model 90hp honda outboard - Cold start problems

Originally posted by AGENT 37 View Post
      My 1998 90 is exactly the same and it sucks
      I also have a 98 90 that does the same thing and it really sucks. I am a cold weather fisherman and worried that mine may no crank when it turns cold.

Comment

Working...
      X