Tohatsu 9.8hp 2stroke remote steering connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickandjill

Cadet
Hi
I wish to fit remote steering to my Tohatsu 9.8hp 2stroke outboard.I have the remotes fitting kit which includes all the bits for the throttle and gearchange.All that is included for steering id the "Steering Hook Plate".
The owners manual doesn't mention remote steering at all.
How does the steering cable connect via this plate? Do I need a drag link bar?
Does anyone have a pic of the steering setup for this engine please? Or explain how it all connects and what other bits I will need other than steering kit with a cable.
Thanks
Richard

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8hp 2stroke remote steering connections

Yes, you do need a drag link bar. Shoot me an email address and I will send you a PDF parts manual for your engine that shows where they all go.

boatnmotor

Recruit

I think he has a 9.8B model. I don't think they offer a link arm for that model as there is no steering tube - right?

With the hookplate you can still use a regular quick-connect steering system but you will need an additional piece from Teleflex (or similar) called a transom clamp block. Basically this piece installs to the transom and holds the exterior of the cable stationary so the end of the cable (connected to the hook plate) can travel in and out, turning the engine from side to side.

You could also use a pulley system but those are a pain and harder to get parts for I think.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Depends on your steering system. The 9.8B does not have through tube steering, so Tohatsu does not have a factory steering link designed for that model. If you use the T & R front mount steering adapter kit you do need to use a steering link arm which is available from...T & R.

dickandjill

Cadet

Thanks for all your advice
Thankyou Elvin for the Parts Manual
I understand what I'm doing now!
Richard

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Trying to do the same thing.. please let me know how you did it.. regards

Jesus jose

dickandjill has not been here in over 8 years. Please Look at the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new topic. New topics are the best way to get advice. the old topics are usually ignored. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.