1985 Honda 2hp

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys. I know that on this motor, the powerhead is aircooled and the exhaust is liquid cooled. My question is, does the motor have a water pump (impeller)? How is the exhaust cooled? Thanks!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Honda 2hp

For some reason my below 30 hp after market service manual doesn't list any Hondas.I wonder if your 2 may have been built by another company.
If it doesn't have a pump then there will most likely be a scoop of some sort to chatch the prop wash to push the water up to the upper leg.If it has a pump there will most likely be a simple intake opening with some sort of a screen.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks Spike. I don't have my hands on the motor yet, (eBay) but here is a photo of the leg and the whole motor.
4604_1.JPG

47ee_1.JPG

I wondered if it may have a "scoop" type of intake, I'll check it out when I get it. You really think a company other than Honda made motors for them? What a dissapointment that would be. Thank you for the help, I'll let you know what I find.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think sometimes companies have other builders make parts and motors for what I'll call nitch motors.I just found out Merc supplied some gearcases for 75-90 hp.Hondas.
I don't think it would be unusual for a company to contract with a small engine builder for a line that might not fly or that they plan to later build their own.
Of course this is all conjecture.
Anyway it appears there are intakes near the front above the gearcase my guess is it has a pump.The design looks a little like the Yamaha/Mariner leg.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of those small motor legs were built by an independent supplier.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I'm sure you're right, I'll pull it apart when I get it. It's supposed to come with the original factory manual so that'll tell the tale. I was just hoping to get the part ahead of time so I wouldn't have to wait. None of the marine stores in town show that a 2hp Honda even existed for that year, yet I know they did. It's funny, I was looking at a new Honda generator the other day and there were more briggs and stratton parts on this thing than Honda parts. Nowhere on it did it say B&S, it just had the B&S symbol all over it. Makes you wonder what you're really getting. Thanks again.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Well, I've got the motor and it does indeed have an impeller for a water pump. It looks like it's in good shape so I'll give it a try. Still no one in town has a replacement! I wonder if it's the same as other outboard impellers. If I can find one that's the same diameter and has a cotter key the same size AND the same thickness, do you think that would be okay? Does the number of blades make a difference??

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

part# 19211-ZV0-003...prox $20..I'd stick with the correct part8)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks z. I'll try that with a Honda dealer and see what happens