98/Honda 9.9 stalls with cowling on only

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is a 1998 9.9, BABL-1204405 that just started to cutout.I found that if I removed the cowling the engine would run. Reinstall and chokes out with in a minute. I have removed and soaked the carb in carb cleaner and reinstalled. Engine did run smoother but still chokes out and stalls when the cowling is replaced. i have read the other posts regarding this and am not pinching any lines ect. I do seem to have some exhaust in and around the engine but not much? Would a little be enough to choke it? Cant spot the source either. Anyone offer a solution or suggestion . Thanks

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 98/Honda 9.9 stalls with cowling on only

had the same problem with an older BF8,<br />the exhaust tube is likely cracked and<br />you are getting exhaust gases sucking in.<br />the motor is fresh air starved.<br /><br />check the tube for leaks, and repair or replace !

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks scotty I will have to locate the leak and repair.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was just scanning through a Seloc outboard manual.Looks like I will have to remove the lower unit then the extention case.Just to access the oil pan and exhaust gasket. Has anyone out there performed this before? I would hate to go to all this work if it was not the real problem. thanks

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they are a bugger to get to...<br />we removed the head to access it from the top.<br />i think that was even more work.<br /><br />you would think the honda design team would<br />try to make them a little easier to work on.

pondhopper

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure the carburetor intake is facing down not up. This has been a problem in the past.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks but it is installed facing down.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just out running this thing again and while cleaning the water outlet some water filled the bottom of the cowlig and it was bubbling likr<br />e mad. I presume this will be my exhaust leek i'm looking for???

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have removed power head to inspect the exhaust manifold and discovered a badly corroded exhaust chamber. This bolts down a exhaust chamber over a exhaust plate to the oil pan. It must vent the upper extension piece to atmosphere through the cowling??. Anyways these parts are toast! Have new ones on order and I need to repair the corrosion to the mating surface while i wait. May be to difficult to weld and machine so I am going to try a two part Aluminum product to fill lost material.

gss036

Commander

I guess that is a common problem. I have a friend that had the same thing happen to his 15hp Honda which basically the same engine. I have an older(93?) 15 Honda and so far no problems and it has seen nothing but saltwater usage, probably has inexcess of 3000 hrs, but it gets a good fresh water flush after every use.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just to update anyone following this problem. I have sand blasted and filled corroded areas with a epoxy aluminum filler, reinstalled new exhaust chamber and plate with gaskets. power head back on and everything back together. Purred like a kitten. Had a tough time with two broken fasteners though. anyways ready to go problem solved.