Honda BF50 valve clearances?

cbhinkel

Cadet
Could someone provide to me the valve clearance settings for the adjustment of the intake and exhaust valves? It would be for an 02 Honda BF50 model, but all years should be the same.<br />Thanks!

argonaut

Cadet
Re: Honda BF50 valve clearances?

Seloc says for the BF50A it's:<br />Intake valve<br />inches : 0.002-0.006 <br />mm: 0.06-0.14<br /><br />Exhaust<br />inches: 0.004-0.007<br />mm: 0.11-0.19<br /><br />I'd want a manual if I were doing this.

cbhinkel

Cadet

Thanks again. I assume you're the same person from the MacGregor board. How's the outboard fix coming along?

argonaut

Cadet

Aye, it's me. <br />Just picked up replacement parts today so tonite's carb rebuild nite.<br />Honda parts are carefully rationed.<br />Hopefully I'll be able to post some photos & part numbers after it's running again.

Skinnywater

Commander

Seloc says for the BF50A it's:<br />Intake valve<br />inches : 0.002-0.006 <br />mm: 0.06-0.14<br /><br />Exhaust<br />inches: 0.004-0.007<br />mm: 0.11-0.19
Wow! That's a big spread. <br /><br />My Honda Marine repair/maintenance manuel issued by Honda Motor Company LTD. says;<br />Valve Clearance cold- Intake 0.13-0.17mm (0.005-0.007 in.)<br />Exaust 0.21-0.25mm (0.008-0.010 in.)<br /><br />No wonder all those hard starts and rough warm-ups in cold weather if people are setting intakes at 0.002.<br />It's hard to get a grip on a decent tune-up if the max. clearance spec. from an aftermarket source on the exaust valve is less than the minimum spec. from the factory's source.<br /><br />I'm highly meticulous at adjusting mine at the minimum specs I've given. I don't hear any valve train noise, it starts, idles and performs like a fuel injected motor. Even on the coldest morning.

cbhinkel

Cadet

I actually just found the valve lash specs on a label attached to a inconspicuous spot on my outboard that matches Skinnywater's numbers. I appreciate all of the feedback anyhow. I'll probably go for 0.13mm intake and 0.21mm exhaust to play it safe.

argonaut

Cadet

I must've bought the specially-priced misprinted version.

Skinnywater

Commander

While your there cbhinkel adjust the belt tentioner to specs. It'll cut down on some of the chattering noise.<br /><br />BTW, if it's your first time with the valve cover off, isn't it satisfying to see the way Honda polishes those rocker arms?

cbhinkel

Cadet

Skinnywater, since I continue to be a cheapskate and don't plop the $150 down at my local Honda Marine dealer for the service manual, the specs for the belt tensioner are ????<br /><br />Also, I agree that Honda quality never dis-appoints for all of their products.

Skinnywater

Commander

Remove the rubber cap from the center of the tentioner pulley. Loosen the bolt that was under that cap only enough to allow the tentioner assembly to pivot freely. Rotate the motor by hand slowly and evenly in direction of rotation one full revolution. Tighten bolt and reinstall cap.<br />The spec is determined by the tentioner spring.<br /><br />The Shop Manuel part# 61ZV300 and suppliment to it<br />part# 61ZV300Y was only $45 incl. shipping and tax 3 years ago. You'll need a 3 ring binder of your own.<br />However, I don't mind scanning a page or two or helping out with it here.

cbhinkel

Cadet

Thanks again! My local Honda Marine dealer who will remain nameless quoted me $100 and change plus tax for the service manual. Their Honda outboard prices are well above average as well, which is consistent with their parts pricing. I wouldn't be surprised if they are one of those dealers who applies the 40% plus margin across the board.....<br /><br />I'll try boats.net again for the BF40/50 service manual since I had to pull the cylinder head yesterday on my BF50 to do what I needed to it. They have been moving their operations and their service has been slow recently.

Skinnywater

Commander

I had to pull the cylinder head yesterday on my BF50 to do what I needed to it.
Mine's a 2002 also.<br />Hmmm, ya mind sharing with us why you're having to do this?

silviomifsud

Cadet

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br /> Remove the rubber cap from the center of the tentioner pulley. Loosen the bolt that was under that cap only enough to allow the tentioner assembly to pivot freely. Rotate the motor by hand slowly and evenly in direction of rotation one full revolution. Tighten bolt and reinstall cap.<br />The spec is determined by the tentioner spring.<br /><br />The Shop Manuel part# 61ZV300 and suppliment to it<br />part# 61ZV300Y was only $45 incl. shipping and tax 3 years ago. You'll need a 3 ring binder of your own.<br />However, I don't mind scanning a page or two or helping out with it here.

silviomifsud

Cadet

HI there SW<br />can you please tell me from where you bought the Manuals? do you think i could order tehm over the net?<br />my BF50 (2001) is giving me some trouble when on gear. if i exceed 2500rpm slowly, the engine stalls. However, if i hit the accellerator fast, the engine goes OK. looks like it's teh carbs and i would like to clean them. The Seloc manual has not been recommended. can you please help? i live in Malta (in the middle of the Mediterranean sea and unfortunately our Honda dealer is not the most efficient, apart from not being the cheapest!!). thanks

Skinnywater

Commander

Hello SilvioMifsud.<br /><br />I'm not real clear on how all this sets with our host iboats. I might be violating iboat's policy or at least pushing the envolope. Or I may have their blessings under the circumstances.<br />I certainly encourage a moderator/administrator to weigh-in.<br /><br />I understand your problem with the Seloc manuel for Honda. Seloc's information when not scarce and vaugue it'll be reliably incorrect.<br /><br />I bought my manuel from my selling dealer here in North Central California when I bought my boat.<br />Since then they've proven to be so lacking in customer service and ability that I couldn't recommend them.<br /><br />Feel free to email me direct bachelor@stormnet.com <br />and I'll accomodate you the best I can.

silviomifsud

Cadet

any idea if there is a gasket set for the carbs for the Honda BF50 available on the net? anyone recommends any reliable supplier?

argonaut

Cadet

Only one I've found is boats.net<br /><br />I was told Honda didn't make "carb rebuild kits" that included the usual replacements for my year engine, a '97. But they said, after a certain year Honda changed that due to demand. So you may have to do what I did & get separate parts, or you may find a rebuild kit for your year that includes an assortment of parts.<br /><br />They did sell a gasket set for my year's carbs, it's honda pn 16010-ZV4-005.<br /><br />Doublecheck that the pn applies to your year.<br />The factory manual from Helm is far more useful that the Seloc one.

cbhinkel

Cadet

Sorry for the long delay to reply. The one thing that I have learned is Boats.net cumstomer service is horrible and will never use them again!<br /><br />SkinnyWater, I'm psuedo-converting my BF40 to be mostly a BF50 by adding ignition advance and a BF50 camshaft. I couldn't change out the camshaft without pulling the head as there is this stupid bolt in the camshaft bearing that was unaccessable until I pulled the head. 8>P<br /><br />SilvioMifsud, thanks for the BF50 manual website! Due to Boats.nets mistakes, I had to quickly get a Seloc to provide the torquing sequences to put my outboard back together. I will get the factory manual later I guess....