Opinions on Tohatsu 18hp 4 Strokes

mjbrueck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Opinions on Tohatsu 18hp 4 Strokes

Not a first-hand account (sorry), but I have a friend with a remote 18hp that he's been running for a little more than a year without any issues or complaints. It would be my first choice if I was in the market for a 15-20.

cckjone

Cadet

I guess I'll find out soon 'cause I just recently placed an order for one. (Should arrive this week!) After reading everything I could about outboard four strokes (9.9hp to 20hp) I finally settled on the Nissan/Tohatsu 18hp. While Nissan may not have the name recognition that Honda and Yamaha has it is very well regarded by a lot of folks. I know it’s a tough decision but I done enough research to feel that all the manufactures make excellent outboards in this very competitive range and it would hard to make a bad choice. Three stars CARB rating, very aggressive pricing and backed by a company with a long history of building quality outboards made it, for me, an easy decision. Here is a fairly objective review of 15 HP outboards. (Both 2 and 4 strokes) The article compares Honda, Johnson, Tohatsu, Mercury, Yamaha and Suzuki. The 15hp Tohatsu is basically the same engine as the 18hp with a slightly revise head porting. You can read the article at http://www.cruisingworld.com/article.jsp?ID=201826&typeID=397&catID=571

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. <br /><br />cckjone, who did you order it from?

cckjone

Cadet

I'd rather not give one Internet dealer an unfair advantage over another because they all seem to be competitively priced. At least not broadcast names on this forum in which most members try to be unbias. If you do a Google search you’ll notice that can order an 18hp Nissian/Tohatsu four stroke from a number of places and they all appear to be within a few bucks of each other. I did find one that shipped directly to a residential address with no problems so long as don’t need an outboard with a remote control box. I just heard from the freight company and it will be delivered tomorrow. To be honest if I was going to do it again I would look for a local Nissan dealership and pay them a visit.

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can get one shipped to my door from the other side of the country cheaper than picking one up here in Florida. I don't get it.

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well in most cases it makes more sense to buy from a local dealer. Most dealers will give a higher priority for service requests to customers they sold the motor to rather than some guy who comes in for service on a motor he bought over the internet. Makes sense to me. If you were a dealer wouldn't you put your customers ahead of someone that bought over the internet? This logic would apply to any major purchase that may require service, not just an outboard. Not to mention, your local dealer will usually test run it, etc. for any potential problems. <br /><br />Now in Florida where the sun shines all the time, waiting a couple extra weeks to get your motor worked on may not be a big deal but in my area, the boating season is way too short to waste sitting in line for a couple of weeks just to save a few bucks by buying online. But I'd still rather support my local dealer & local economy just the same.

cckjone

Cadet

I partial agree with Tguy but my local dealer, who sells Nissan/Tohatsu along with other name brands, seemed more interested in selling from his in-house stock than what I really wanted. My regret was I didn’t push him hard enough on the issue. As far as supporting the local economy… I’m always in favor of that …but it’s not like they are assembling outboards in the back room. They get motors from the same distributor that I did. <br /><br />I’ve always questioned so called stories about service and wait lists. Most service shops are not going to turn down service work because that’s a major portion of their income. I’ve taken in my 20 year old Johnson for service a number of times and have yet hear anyone say to me “did you purchase that here?” I think its more urban myth than fact.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Sales tax !, Sales Tax!, Sales Tax! We sell engines into California every day for less than an internet based company can....and they are in California. Unfortunately, the reverse often holds true. They can sell engines into Florida for less sometimes.

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sales Tax sure is a problem<br /><br />ccjone, what do you think of your new engine?

cckjone

Cadet

Too early to tell, Salty Dog. We won’t have ice-out on our lakes up here in Maine for a few more weeks. The motor showed up in a heavy duty cardboard box with nylon straps. After opening the box I found the motor, gas tank, tool case, etc encased between two huge, thick Styrofoam shells. I let it sit for a couple days before muscling it out onto an outboard motor stand. Defiantly more heft to it than my old 15hp two stroke. I would classify this at the high end of the ‘portable’ spectrum. After taking the engine cover off I noticed that it looks like your typical Japanese quality stuff. Everything is very compact, neat and tidy. (Interesting note: I thought that this motor may have been assembled in China, Korea or Indonesia, but it came from the new Mercury/Tohatsu factory in Japan.) Not much to report other than it sure do look purtty…. I ordered the service manual and I’m somewhat disappointed in that. No list parts, no exploded views of some critical areas not even parts numbers for common things like oil filters and such … all in all a rather primitive service manual for $31.00.

jackrg

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a Nissan 18 4stroke in 2001 from Cabelas<br />I couldn't find a better deal out there. When I first got it there seamed to be some vibration while running but , nothing I could'nt live with.<br />The more I run it the smoother it gets.<br />All in all I'am very pleased with it. Very good on gas, and quiet !!<br />Nissan =Tohatsu (same thing)<br />Jackrg

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

I still like my 18, it is the long shaft with electric start. Only used it about a dozen times this year, but it started the first pull every time. Yes, it has electric start, but it's not worth putting the battery in the boat, because it starts so easy by rope. I believe mine is a 2002.

TimMattson

Seaman

I ll put my employers Tohatsu service up against ANY price you pay for sales tax....Sorry Big E ,but I used to buy motors/service where I now work and my former job was was for a boat builder who STILL offers me outboards at OEM,dealer cost.The service knowledge is priceless and can save your butt by preventing problems.<br /> I actually had a time when selling boats that I recommended a buyer shop their local market as I wouldnt want them to travel across a state to get service or repairs....Only to have them buy our product and leave me a $100.00 tip....though the money ,in theory, was part of what they saved by buying out of state.<br /> I also DO go out of my way for our engine buyers(and also ASK if they bought it here-it usually means a coat of wax and swapping out rusty fasteners no charge) and also the guys who come in every spring and summer for maintenance as they keep us in business and usually are the way we draw new customers.Boating can be expensive and we do need to keep people from leaving the activity.<br /><br /> The service manuals we have at the dealership are also as poor as you describe.Luckily the motors are pretty simple.<br /> Run Engine Tuner thru it every 50 hrs to de-carbonize and then run it hard and replace the spark plugs.Get the break-in oils out after 20 hrs.in both upper and lower ends.Torque the head cold after break-in and youre ready for a long life.Also spray a good corrosion spray over any dis-similar metals:under the handle will pit if exposed to salt.<br /> 18 HP Opinion: These motors do shake a bit at certain rpms and I been taught that this has to do with the throttle timing not being EFI controlled and is somewhat inherent to the design.<br /> They are gas saving machines and the only knock is trying to re-sell it to a Merc or Yamaha diehard who needs the flashiest OB that a pile of money can buy.I wish I had a dollar for every stolen Honda Ive heard about.... <br /> Tim Mattson<br /> Sorensen Marine ,8.9% local tax to Wa. res.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Tim,<br /><br />I agree that a local dealer, everything else being equal, is a better choice than a faceless company 1500 miles away...Sometimes. <br /><br />I looked back through some of my old posts for an explanation as to why people do not buy through their local dealer. Here it is.<br /><br /> INTERNETOUTBOARDS <br />Ensign <br />Member # 46496 <br /><br /> posted 23-04-2005 09:53 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I am going to hate myself tomorrow for equating this, but.....When you buy a lawnmower at Home Depot, take it home, add oil and cut the grass, is it really anymore complicated that adding a quart of oil to an outboard? The answer is no. Some people can't take a cutting blade off of a lawnmower to sharpen it, those are the same people that bring in a 4 hp outboard to a service station to have the spark plug changed. That's the exception, not the rule. For every 50 outboards we sell and ship to a consumer in Smalltown, USA we might receive a single phone call asking a question about how to operate the engine or if something special needs to be done to use it. Out of the last 675 we sold and delivered via boxed delivery there have been 8 warranty claims filed....5 of those were for concealed freight damage that Tohatsu took responsibility for. There is just no reason to pay a local dealer to add a quart of oil and tell you not to run the engine out of the water.<br /><br />As to the rare occasion when there really is a problem....some dealers really show their character flaws, some go out of their way to help that LOCAL CUSTOMER THAT THEY LOST TO BEGIN WITH. When we have a local customer who has made a purchase from someone else come in for service we look at it as a second chance to earn their business. We do not punish them for bringing business to us. If they want a PDI done on that 5 hp that they bought from somone else....great. That's $25.00 to $50.00 in our pocket for 30 minutes of our time. Do we treat them the same as someone who just bought an engine from us? We better, if we want to gain their future business. Most of the time these people send their frends in to us. Why? Because we didn't treat them like redheaded stepchildren. <br /><br />All dealers need to take a close look as to why they have lost a sale. Was it because the consumer didn't even know they sold that brand? Was it because they didn't have that model available? Was it because they were unwilling to order it? Was it because they had it priced too high? Was it because they have a reputation for being cranky? Was it because of the final cost being to high because of sales tax? Was it because you slept with the guy's wife back in high school and he found out just as he was ready to order it from you?<br /><br />If you buy a new Ford across town from a dealer and three months later you take it to the dealer that is only a 1/4 mile from you because some silly xss sensor has failed, do you think she is going tell her service department to put you dead last? Of course not. It's not personal. Marine dealers should not make it and take it personal either.<br /><br />Having said all that...it does hurt a little when Bubba shows up with a new one in a box and you didn't sell it. But you really do have to rise above it, smile and EARN his business and goodwill for the future.<br /><br />--------------------<br />ELVIN<br />AVALONPROGROUP <br /><br /><br />Tim, you really would not believe the number of people who contact us from OTHER states that purchased their engine from a LOCAL dealer and can't get an accurate answer or help in regard to their brand new engine. Yesterday a man called me from California complaining that his new engine had something wrong with it because the parts he purchased(conversion parts from a tiller to a remote), from his local dealer whom he had just purchased it from, wouldn't fit. That dealer failed his customer....More importantly....That customer is now my customer. Not because we were less on price(we were anyway, but, like a lot of people he put a high value on a local dealer relationship), but because even with all those miles betweeen us, we solved his problem. <br /><br />There are lot's of good dealers out there. Lot's of bad ones too. And let me tell you that out of the seven big internet ***** dealers out there( And yes, we are one of those), four are complete nitwits. The other two, well...their not complete nitwits...(Does that make them incomplete nitwits? :D ) I guess it's just the role of the dice for most consumers.