Honda B-100 ignition problems

hmccoy99

Cadet
Post Preview <br />I bought a b-100 in a basket and I have it back together, but having trouble figuring out the ignition wiring, the motor has points. <br /><br />I cant get any spark, I noticed it has a charging <br />coil with a black wire, a black wire from the points that I connected to the coil along with the<br />wire from the charging coil. no spark! <br /><br />Henry

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda B-100 ignition problems

You will need a DVA meter to measure output from that charge coil as a regular volt meter is not fast enough to give you an appropriate reading if any reading at all.Most likely your points are'nt set right.

hmccoy99

Cadet

I have a volt/ohm meter I spun the motor about 450RPM and measured about 4.5 vac on the charging coil, I cleaned and set the points, but I am puzzled about the design of the ignition, Kettering coil system usually build up a field in the coil then the points open and the field collapses inducing the Hi Voltage for the spark. This system the charging coil coil is grounded with the points closed an a field is built when the points is opened. seems odd. Does anyone have <br />a wiring diagram for the points style ignition for<br />the B-100? its seems like a poor design. or am I missing something?<br /><br />thanks for the reply<br /><br />Henry

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

And you set those points to what?

hmccoy99

Cadet

Originally posted by hondon:<br /> And you set those points to what?
I set them ~ .020 <br /><br />I have question though, facing the front of the<br />motor does the stator charging coil belong on the <br />right or left hand side?<br /><br />henry

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

send me an e-mail and I'll take care of you. <br /><br />marshall_shepherd@msn.com

hmccoy99

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your help..<br /><br />I got it going! its a weak spark though. are B100<br />with CD ignition any better?<br /><br /><br />Do all Hondas have weak ignitions?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Henry

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

I think the 75 and the 100 are both weak spark. I wonder if there is any way to get a better spark with after market parts?

hmccoy99

Cadet

Originally posted by trollhole:<br /> I think the 75 and the 100 are both weak spark. I wonder if there is any way to get a better spark with after market parts?
yes, its possible <br /><br />Its an unusual system both plug fire at the same<br />time and the Hi Voltage circuit requires both plugs to fire. if one is fouled they both quite <br />firing and to test them both plugs have to be <br />ground together.<br /><br />one alternative is a batt powered CD system(automotive after market like MSD)<br />use the charging system + a battery and just <br />use the points for timing. and use the existing <br />coil. <br /><br />It would be more inconvient but defineitely <br />hotter!<br /><br />henry

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Now that you have spark (which IS fairly weak on the best of days), don't worry about it! Go fish!!