Honda BF 130 - Warranty Issue - Block Cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peddler

Cadet
Re: Honda BF 130 - Warranty Issue - Block Cracks

Gentlemen,<br />I have 2003 115HP Honda. This engine has the same<br />displacement as the 130HP. Does the service bulletin for the cracked block apply to the 115HP engine? <br />Thanks.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES. All the letters I got from Honda were addressed "Dear Honda BF115 or BF130 Owner," and throughout the letters they refer to "BF115 or BF130". The service bulletin likewise is for both the BF115 and BF130. Affected BF115 units have frame serial numbers from BZBD-1000001 to 1200270 and BZBG-1000001 to 1200000. See other BF130 threads on this forum for additional info on the warranty and inspection requirements; they're equally applicable to the BF115.

Peddler

Cadet

pchonda,<br />thanks for the reply on my 115hp question. I checked my serial number and lucked out with a number 14200XX.<br />Thanks Again,<br />Peddler

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I will come to the defense of Honda Motor Company!!!<br /><br />Your message stated...<br /><br />"Received the "Product Update Campaign" notice from Honda (funny how they don't call it a "recall", huh?)..."<br /><br />From my experiences & memory, Honda (autos, motorcycles, power equipment) has never has a "recall per se" as they are a pro-active organization that is in tune with thier owners of thier products. What I mean by that is they are constantly in development of current & future products and fine tuning these to fit the marketplace.<br /><br />The "Product Update Campaign" that you are referring to is due to dedicated testing BEFORE & AFTER the sale & is in conjuction with thier service departments. If a problem is defined in the field, then this product is returned & if deemed an issue after testing on various owners products, ex. fuel leak on Honda Automobile gas tank filler tubes in areas of high salt content deposited on the roads caused filler tube to deteriorate... they brought various models at thier expense to dealerships, across the nation, over a two week period & paid going shop labor rates at these dealerships across the nation plus paid for rental cars for the owners of these vehicles.They took all the information, product that was removed from these vehicles and formulated a plan after it was determined that this was an issue & issued a "Product Update Campaign" on filler tubes. Simple!!!!!<br /><br />No one said to do it as in the recalls forced on other manufactures by government agencies and they did it at thier own considerable expense!!!<br /><br />Yes, I understand that you spent considerable money for Honda Outboards and you feel their Customer Relations was faulty but you are getting a new powerhead plus a ten year warranty and you still can make your fishing trips in the spring.How is that for CUSTOMER RELATIONS!!! Honda stands behind thier products!!! Think about where you would be if this was another manuafcturer of your outboard engines... this is why "American" companies have adopted the "business" stategies of the "Japanese" companies and I say it is about time.<br /><br />As a owner of Honda autombiles & power equipment and being in management & sales at 2 Honda Automobile Dealerships in Nashville TN area, I can personally say if it has "HONDA" on it you are getting the best possible product and service in the long run!!!<br /><br />As for Notices, "Product Update Campaign" and/or Recalls sent to you by manufactures of any equipment or product, please schedule an appointment with and/or call your service advisor or warranty center when this is received... they sent it to you for a reason!!!<br /><br />Enough said.<br /><br /> :cool:

I bought a 2002 bf130 a year ago. I haven't received any factory notices. Was this year model included in the block "recall".

pchonda<br /><br />thanks for the response but the previous numbers were for a 115. i finally looked up my numbers on my bf130 and they are bzbe1301446. was this engine part of the recall. thanks

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The link posted above takes you to an earlier post which lists the serial number range for the affected BF130 motors. Yours does not seem to be affected.

cggcpa1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

READING THIS THREAD SURE MAKES ME FEEL GOOD ABOUT THE BF225 I AM PURCHASING ... TAKING BOAT TO MY DEALER THIS SUNDAY TO START RIGGING... I OWN A 98 HONDA ACCORD VTEC AND ITS AWESOME... ALL OF MY FAMILY HAVE HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH HONDA PRODUCTS. WHEN MY ACCORD WAS BRAND NEW I NOTICED A BEARING WHINING IN THE TRANNY... TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND HONDA HAD A FACTORY TECH REBUILD IT.. NO PROBLEMS...5 YRS LATER ITS STILL PERFECT.. IM A HONDA MAN !!!!

blueflu

Cadet

My Honda 130s which were 2000 models were found to have minor cracks in the block and heads of one of the engines after 100 hrs use. The dealer during winter haulout inspected them and found the problem, within one week Honda replaced both complete top ends with 2002 models. Thank You Honda you are the gratest. by the way only one engine had the cracks but they replaced both because they had consecutive serial numbers. Honda owner for life!!

maillon

Seaman

Hey Guys,<br /><br />Using the pictures above, is it possible to do the inspection, without taking apart the motor? <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />-Mike

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The third picture that Mackerelena provided links to, several posts above, shows where cracks would be on the cylinder block, but to even see that area you would have to do some disassembly. Specifically, you'd have to remove the water jacket cover (and wires, etc. mounted thereon). Be careful that the relief valve and relief valve spring do not pop out. Note also that the above inspects only for the potential cracked block; the potential cracked cylinder head requires an inspection of the spark plugs for water fouling.<br /><br />If you have symptoms of a cracked block/head, why don't you take the motor to a dealer and let him diagnose it; a dealer's report of any crack's presence should carry more weight with Honda than an individual owner's report. I hope your engine has no symptoms/cracks since you've said that Canadian Honda doesn't even acknowledge the possibility. Hard to comprehend that Honda north of the border is so different from Honda south of the border (or even out here in the middle of the Pacific ;) ). Good luck.

D

DJ

pchonda,<br /><br />Honda Canada and Honda USA are two totally different corporations. True, they are both "representatives" of the Honda Company of Japan, but that's as far as it goes. Honda Japan, cannot dictate all that these "reps" do, only suggest.<br /><br />That is a pickle that many of the foriegn companies got themselves into when they desired distribution networks in North America. Since they didn't have their own network, they had to rely upon companies already in existance, in those markets, to assist them. With that, they lost some of there decision and policy making power. This has had some benefits. Honda and other foriegn companies are shielded from disastrous lawsuits-particularly in the US. Lawyers won't sue if they cannot get at the BIG corporation. There is not enough of a target in the "distributorships". :rolleyes: <br /><br />Also, Canada is very strange on how they deal with, or allow, after warranty assistance programs. The same holds true for automakers. Once the border is crossed, all changes. It's the government (Canadian) most likely driving this.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the explanation, DJ. Being way out here in paradise :cool: , we're not aware of those kinds of cross-border differences. It sure is another reason to be thankful for statehood and being part of the good ol' USA.
fla4_anm.gif
Canada must sell their Honda motors for less, judging by the number of folks with those motors on this forum. Guess there's something to be said about buying from a local dealer who'll stand behind and service his product :) .

D

DJ

pchonda,<br /><br />You're welcome.<br /><br />I do not know about Canadian pricing. It all gets fuzzy when you look at exchange rates and such.<br /><br />BTW, my sister in law just moved back to the mainland after 11 years out there. Kind of tragic though, her husband was killed in an auto accident one month after being back. :mad: Killed by a snot nosed teenager (no remorse) driving too fast in the rain. It's so sad, he was a submariner in the Navy and had two years left before retirement.

Deeplines

Recruit

1st of off I'm new and this is my 1st post. I joined because I was researching the 1999 Honda 130 outboard. I came across the website and this thread.

I called Honda in Atlanta and they said that the warranty was still good if I bought the motors and the repair wasn't done. Went and picked up both motors at a heck of a deal and put them on the boat and took it to the local Honda dealer.

The motors were originally purchased in May 1999 sold to the person I bought them from. They blew up while he had them so he repowered with 150 Yama's. I bought them 2 years later.

The dealer called Honda and they said do the complinary inspection. He did and found out BOTH motors had cracked heads. He called Honda back and told them and they sent the parts and he is changing it out as I type. I will fill you in more if it was just the blocks and cylinders or the whole powerhead.

The main reason I'm posting this is because if you are looking to repower and have a chance to buy these engines don't be afraid. HONDA SEEMS TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT.

I had 89 Yamaha 130 HP but they finally saw their day and one blew and the other is just about ready to go. Both were good engines and never stranded me. d:)

I was worried that once this post was from 2004 if all being said was still good. Well......... I'm here to tell you the ISSUE is still good and I also have 2 years left on the warranty.

CP - Thanks for all your advise and information you posted on this thread.

IF anyone reads this can you tell me if I should have the dealer go ahead and change the timing belt once he already has the motor broken down?

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, surprised to see this old thread come back to life but am glad Deeplines still finds it useful.

In my case, now about three years ago, Honda replaced my entire powerhead as one assembly, including the timing belt. IMHO you should have the belts changed since they're at least two years old even though they haven't been run, and it'll be easy for your dealer to do as part of the reassembly of your repaired motors.

BTW, I still have my BF130 and it continues to run just fine, including a recent 24 hour continuous run at various speeds, and an earlier 10 hour trip including a full hour at planing speed (rare here due to our rough water).

Enjoy the BF130's.

Status
Not open for further replies.