Honda cowling

rickrick

Cadet
I'm looking to replace the cowling on my<br />2000 25hp honda. I bought it used, and the guy<br />that had it before me cracked it.<br /><br />thanks

Moving Target

Seaman
Re: Honda cowling

Might want to try eBay. If your lucky, you might find one there. <br /><br />A new one will be pricey. I look at a new on for my 115 and it was $600+ :eek:

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just had a mishap with my cowling (2002 Merc 90) when it fell off the boat (don't ask). Has a nice crack in it, but after checking the prices -- $729!!!!! -- I decided to fix it myself. It's not perfect, but it'll do. If I can fix mine, you could certainly do yours. I got some good advice from this board, and followed the below process:<br /><br />Use a Dremel or Wizard tool to grind down the crack a bit (not all the way through). Go just a little beyond the crack. Take Marine Tex putty and fill in the crack (follow mixing instructions). On the back side, take some epoxy resin (I use West Systems for small repairs, but big $$) and fiberglass with some cloth. <br /><br />After you get both sides done, sand the Marine Tex as smooth as possible (ending with 600 grit paper, and wet sand). Clean area, prime, and paint. It'll never look perfect (unless you're really good), but I wouldn't sweat it.<br /><br />If you feel uncomfortable doing this yourself, take it to a fiberglass shop. Perhaps they can help.

D

DJ

rickrick,<br /><br />Try to fix it. <br /><br />If you can even get a new one, it will be expensive. I had to replace the cowl on my Dad's 8 Honda and it took eight months to get.<br /><br />Keep trying e-bay too.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Sure you can fix it. Do as bryanredfish told you. I have done it on several motorcycle farings and such. Same kind of plastics I belive.<br />It isn't what's inside that counts (in this case). It looks good from the outside. If it doesn't - put a sticker over it :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

When you start finish sanding your repair, keep the sandpaper and the area you're sanding wet with water. It keeps the sandpaper from filling up and makes the finish smoother.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

BHM7952

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have several good used cowlings, including a mid 1990's 25 HP Honda, silver color. <br />Also 1987 ?? 150 XP Evinrude<br />1987 40 HP Evinrude<br />? 6 HP Evinrude<br />28 Special Evinrude<br />48 Special Evinrude<br />Email for more info or pictures: linda@nu-z.net