Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu 30hp Steering cable?

Hi,

I just replaced an old outboard motor with a new Tohatsu MFS30C outboard and the current Teleflex cable I have only has a turning circle of 2.5 turns (1.25 each way from centre) and I'm not sure if I need to replace the cable as well for a bigger turning circle (if that is a thing, I'm new to boating so don't be too harsh! ).

The boat itself is a 14ft CJR if this helps with any advice.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/dec...steering-cable

The cable I have linked is the current teleflex cable I have.

Any advice is most welcome so fire away!

Kind regards, Tony.

This is the usual recommended steering cable install : Check if matches right your current application..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

I guess I'm left wondering if this is a limitation caused by this motor install, or is this all the further this system is supposed to move?

If the motor were disconnected, would you still be limited to 1.25 turns either side of center?

Comment

Originally posted by ahicks View Post
        I guess I'm left wondering if this is a limitation caused by this motor install, or is this all the further this system is supposed to move?

If the motor were disconnected, would you still be limited to 1.25 turns either side of center?
        YES. Could be a bad helm unit...
        Paul
        Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
        Buffalo NY USA

Comment

So further troubleshooting required. I guess that's where I would start - by disconnecting everything at the motor end of the steering cable.

Comment

Working...
          X