BF50A limp mode

pgshields

Cadet
Hey guys,

My 97' Honda BF50A has been in the shop since the beginning of the year. I had taken it to get the limp mode fixed. Last summer the motor was having problems but worked fine if I had a jump box hooked up..Well I took the boat out in March and it starts great and drives perfect for about 30 seconds and then hits limp mode at about 2800 rpms. The boat doesn't have the red and green alarms but I took it to the local Honda guy and he has tried everything. He says he can't figure out the problem. He has checked compression, he has checked the oil pressure valve, checked fuel and says he can't find anything. Do you guys have any tips or ideas for me to try? Thank you for the help!! New water pump as well. She pees fine until the limp mode kicks on and then struggles.

ahicks

Captain
Make me understand. "Pees fine until limp mode kicks in, then struggles"? Does it stop peeing in limp mode?

Jump box hooked up? What does a jump box look like/do?

Is the motor actually getting hot? Easy to tell for sure with an inexpensive infra-red thermometer. The one I have was less than 10.00 and is surprisingly accurate. Here's a different one -
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Handheld...68801?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=13763

Boat may not have functional green and red lights, that would be bad enough, but the alarm should still come on if there's a heat or oil pressure issue....

Hate to see people loose a season due to down time. How much confidence to you have in this mechanic? These earlier Honda's are pretty basic, straight forward, simple to work on. No hidden rocket science required anywhere.....

Last edited:

pgshields

Cadet
Make me understand. "Pees fine until limp mode kicks in, then struggles"? Does it stop peeing in limp mode?

Jump box hooked up? What does a jump box look like/do?

Is the motor actually getting hot? Easy to tell for sure with an inexpensive infra-red thermometer.

Boat may not have functional green and red lights, that would be bad enough, but the alarm should still come on if there's a heat or oil pressure issue....

Hate to see people loose a season due to down time. How much confidence to you have in this mechanic? These earlier Honda's are pretty basic, straight forward, simple to work on. No hidden rocket science required anywhere.....

It goes from a solid stream to dropplets, not strong at all... almost not a stream at all.

The motor has gotten hot but doesn't do it every time. One time it had gotten hot and smoke was coming off of it but he hasn't been able to mimic the overheat but all he can do is get it to limp mode.

Jumpbox I don't think did anything it just was in my head. Jumpbox or jump starter on the battery(essentially a third battery).

I do not have any alarm going off at all when this happens. The engine just kicks into limp mode.

Sadly he is the best mechanic in West Alabama and is the go-to Honda guy. I wish I had another option.

ahicks

Captain
Assuming this motor has been used extensively in the salt water - and maybe not always rinsed out with fresh water after every use.

Saving a motor like this is like bringing them back from the dead. There's no easy fixes. It's very likely clogged with corrosion, and will need major work to clean it out and make it serviceable again. I buy engines like this, and do just this kind of work. Unfortunately, they aren't worth a lot, as they are old enough to be very unpredictable once opened up. It might require a head or even an engine block to repair. They are usually sold for parts because of this, bringing 500-1000 dollars. I winter in the Ocalla Fl. area, and am always looking for project motors like this one. They are all I work on (Honda 40-90 hp)

If it has NOT been used extensively in salt water, find yourself another mechanic. If it has not received a new pump and thermostat yet, have him start there. Have him blow compressed air back through the pisser while the lower unit and thermostat are removed - before he starts putting it back together. Often, they'll just have some sand in them that will rinse out easily. -Al

pgshields

Cadet
Assuming this motor has been used extensively in the salt water - and maybe not always rinsed out with fresh water after every use.

Saving a motor like this is like bringing them back from the dead. There's no easy fixes. It's very likely clogged with corrosion, and will need major work to clean it out and make it serviceable again. I buy engines like this, and do just this kind of work. Unfortunately, they aren't worth a lot, as they are old enough to be very unpredictable once opened up. It might require a head or even an engine block to repair. They are usually sold for parts because of this, bringing 500-1000 dollars. I winter in the Ocalla Fl. area, and am always looking for project motors like this one. They are all I work on (Honda 40-90 hp)

If it has NOT been used extensively in salt water, find yourself another mechanic. If it has not received a new pump and thermostat yet, have him start there. Have him blow compressed air back through the pisser while the lower unit and thermostat are removed - before he starts putting it back together. Often, they'll just have some sand in them that will rinse out easily. -Al
Al, We are still having issues. I have not had it in salt water ever. We still can't get the motor to run correct. I have moved onto another mechanic and still having issues.

ahicks

Captain
You're going to need to provide more detail if I'm going to be of any help. If it's not running "correctly" what's it doing?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Wait, a 1997 Honda is carbureted, does it even have a "limp mode"? I've got the 99' version of the same motor. I had a problem where a small piece of fuel line had broken off and clogged one of the float valves. The motor would idle OK, then when I gave it any throttle that carburetor would run empty almost immediately leaving the motor running on 2 cylinders, with the predictable shaking and lack of power. Are you possibly only running on 2 cylinders and mistaking that for limp mode? Next time it does it, immediately turn off the motor and open the drains on each of the carburetors to make sure all 3 have gas in them.

ahicks

Captain
No, have never seen a carbed engine with "limp mode" either. What I HAVE seen, is plenty of them with dirt related carb issues, overheating issues due to internal crud build up, bad thermostats, bad pumps, etc. No rocket science required to work on them....