Honda Outboard.

Easlo

Cadet
From what year to the next did Honda make their BF45hp outboards. I know it was in the 90's but not sure exactly when.

ahicks

Captain
Honda is really bad about associating model and serial numbers for that matter, to year built. Makes no difference really, as all the motors built previous to 2004 or so, 35,40, 45, and 50 hp use just about 100% interchangeable parts, the commonly used ones anyway.

The one listing I see for 45 hp is '93. Again though, that doesn't mean much. It could have sat for 5 years prior to sale.

Easlo

Cadet
Thanks. I was looking at NADA pricing guides and anything before 97 they do show a BF45. After 97 they do not. So... what I'm dealing with is folks that have a BF45HP for sale saying it's a 1997 or 98 and truthly they probably really don't know or they are just giving the wrong year. I'm actually looking for a Honda outboard right now 30 to possibly 50hp. I was told by a guy recently don't buy any Honda made before 2005. Afrer 2005 they got much better. I don't know if there is any truth in this statement but could be. I also still wonder why Honda doesn't offer an EFI outboard under 40 hp. Other brands are doing it. Anyway, Thanks for the reply.

ahicks

Captain
I doubt seriously there were 45's built in 97, BUT, as I mentioned, it's possible one was sold new and rigged on a new 97 model boat. That makes it a 97 motor in many people's eyes. True when working with Honda's anyway.

I'm retired and work on the 40-50 hp motors, as well as the occasional 75's and 90's as a hobby. They are all I work on. A real niche if there ever was one! LOVE bringing them back from the dead and back into productive use. In MY experience, they are ALL very popular with their owners (new and old).

If I were to pick a personal favorite, it would be the pre '05's! They have a REAL choke with choke button, and are much simpler to work on. The '05, '06. and pre fuel injected '07's, all have an automatic electric choke, and I believe they are harder to start.Just like the fuel injected motors, they work great until they don't! At that point they are a vacuum line nightmare, or in the case of the "fuelies" way more complicated (by a factor of about 50) than the earlier motors.

The '05 and later comment my be due to the bolts/fasteners used to assemble the motors. The earlier motors use chrome plated bolts, which some believe are not as strong as the bolts used in the later production motors. I actually prefer the older bolts, as they don't corrode as easily in a salt water environment. As far as the later ones being stronger, you couldn't prove that by me. They'll both break if stuck!

If the motor appears to be in good shape and runs good, there's no reason to be shy of it, especially if it's been used exclusively in fresh water. It uses the same parts the 40's and 50's use (block, head, pistons, rods, carbs, lower units, etc, etc, etc.).

Last, again in my experience, NADA pricing on used Honda outboards is absolutely useless. With the Honda's, it WAY more about finding one for sale, then at a price you can live with.

A nice used 4 stroke (Merc, Yammi, or Honda) in the 40-115 hp range are going to demand a premium just as sure as I'm sitting here. They are just like the proverbial unicorn. If you see one that doesn't have a sky high price on it, it's not going to be around long. Mine seldom last more than a couple of days.... -Al

Last edited:

Easlo

Cadet
Thanks so much for the reply. With your knowledge of these outboards. I'll ask your opinion on this. I am looking at a 1997 45hp that runs, at least in the video it does and I'm looking at a 2003 50hp that also runs showing in the video. The 45 is listed at 3000 for everything. Comtrols prop. Has power tilt. The 50hp is not coming with controls but has everything else. Power tilt. Electric start. Ect. I can get that at 1275.00. Both motors look pretty good. If it were you which one would you lean to?

ahicks

Captain
1275 sounds like a bargain (bet it's gone already!), but you had better check on the price of the controls and a wiring harness (not ALWAYS sold together). I find them frequently on ebay.

Control often goes for 200. and the harness could be another hundred!

I've never seen one that did not have TnT and electric start.

Props are 100. Plan on one of those too. The one that comes on them always wrong. If you have a fishing boat, the prop will be for a 'toon. If you have a 'toon, the prop you get will be for a fishing boat. -Al

Easlo

Cadet
The 50 is still available. I've looked at controls and cables. Trying to locate new ones that fit a 2003 BF50. It does have a stainless steel honda prop on it. Don't know the pitch or details. I may drive the 5 hours to go get it. I live in Knoxville tennessee, that motor is in Virginia. That's why I was looking at a video. I'll need the electrical hook up as well. Amyway, I really appreciate your insight. Depending on where your located maybe you might know of a food 40 to 50 hp Honda for sale. Let me know. A days drive is worth it in my opinion. My 1960 Fabuglas Fury came from Detroit MI. It was worth every mile. Again. Super thanks to you.

ahicks

Captain
The side mount controls are like the motors. All are the same. Same holds true for the wire harness.

Is this a coastal area of Virginia? If so, that might explain the "reasonable" price. There's a few "gotcha's" regarding salt water motors.

Easlo

Cadet
No this in in Roanoak Va. No salt water use to my knowledge.

ahicks

Captain
If you'd like, you could forward the add and/or pictures and I could have a look at them for you. (I'm in Mich. and I love road trips, but I'm NOT going to drive that far for a project motor!

michahicks*aol.c-m

Easlo

Cadet
Just ask the guy about it being used in salt water? Yep it sure has. Dang it.

Easlo

Cadet
I just came back from Traverse City MI. The wife is from there. Her family lives up there. Anyway, about that

Easlo

Cadet
Sorry guys about the bunch of post in a row. Won' t happen again

ahicks

Captain
Motors run in the salt water are often fine. It's the ones stored in saltwater, or the ones with poor maintenance (as in not rinsed internally after every use for instance) that often have issues. I've seen some pretty solid motors come off of fishing boats that were frequently trailered and used in salt water.

Still, if that 45 is a freshwater only motor, it may be the better value.

Easlo

Cadet
Yep. I'm afraid of not knowing if that 50 had been taken care of or not put up a flag for me. I have a decent video of it running so maybe I'm making a mistake of not going after it, but I can't take that chance. If I had money to throw around, I would have already gone out and bought a new one.. I realize motors are used n salt water all the time but are they kept flushed out on a regular basis? Who knows. So... I'm just gonna keep looking for that elusive good deal. Somewhere out there a good one is waiting for me. I just gotta find it.

ahicks

Captain
And be ready to pounce on it quickly! He who hesitates is going to spend a LOT of time finding a used Honda....

Is there a reason you have become disenchanted with the 45?