Honda BF 50 D & BF 50 A

Mick noodles

Recruit
Hi any advice on the difference between the Honda BF 50 D and the BF 50 A engine block.
i have a seized BF 50 D 2008 and have seen a full block BF 50 A,
part numbers on Honda parts site are different for the blocks but coming from experience with car engines most manufactures use the same block and change ancillaries for new years improved model,extra lug here or there for new bolt on upgrades..i have detailed photos of both engine blocks and I can't see any difference externally..
Has anyone else had experience with swapping Honda blocks .
​​​I can't seem to get honda.com to answer reply ..
many thanks
Mick

ahicks

Captain
They are close, but no cigar I'm afraid. One of the bigger differences that comes to mind is the way the ignition and charging systems are set up on top. Totally different, and as the D is a fuelie, I don't think there would be any way to adapt those parts. The fuelie ECU is way too picky. An option might be to see if the A type complete powerhead might adapt to the D mid section. No clue there. I'd be looking for a D short block on e-bay.

Have you pulled the engine down to see what stuck? No walk in the park for sure, but fixing that engine may be your least expensive option.

Retired, and love taking something like that and getting it running again. The mid size Honda's (35-90 hp) are all I work on....