new boat & lots of questions!

Recruit
I just bought my first decent sized(22.5' Alumaweld)) boat. It has 2006 150 HP Honda outboard. It only had 60 hours on it when I bought it and runs great. I have been using the rabbit ears system to back flush the motor but I see Honda recommends using the flush port connector.
I hooked a garden hose to the flush port connector, no water ran through the motor and it blew the flush port connector hose off of the motor twice.
The motor pumps plenty of water when running as well as when hooked up to the rabbit ears and a garden hose. Is the fact the flush port is not working something to be concerned with?
Also, the boat has a full set of Honda controls and gauges. The gas gauge does not work and is stuck on full. Any suggestions as to how to check if this is the gauge or the sending unit in the tank?
Thanks in advance for any support.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you get regular water flow from the tell tale (water squirter on the motor) then the ears are fine. I've been flushing my 1999 Honda with the ears for the last 20+ years and it's still running strong. If your Honda is like mine, the flush port is down on the lower unit and you would still need to run the motor with the hose connected to the flush port. But if you're not getting any water through the motor, then do not run it.

ahicks

Captain
Re: the gas gauge. You need to get to the sending unit where you'll find 2 wires that lead to the gauge. If you short them together the gauge should read either full or empty (I can never remember which). If you separate them, it should read the opposite. If it does that, the gauge, the wiring to the gauge from the sending unit, and 12v to the gauge are all fine.

Recruit
I have an area on the back of my 150 HP Honda outboard that needs some paint touch (it is the lower plastic cowling). Is there a good one stop shop to order the primer,paint and clear coat that I assume I will want to use?
Thanks again!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think Honda sells touch up paint, I'm not sure if you need any other layers over it.

ahicks

Captain
Honda sells paint, but it's expensive and doesn't match worth a darn. Sticks out like a sore thumb. If you want to see what sun fading can do, just try using some OEM touch up.

After a lot of screwing around, I've had much better luck with much less expensive paint by DupliColor sold at auto supplies -

Duplicolor- Fine Silver Birch Mteallic ( 59 WA926L ) is the closest I think.

or

Duplicolor Metallic Pewter Spray Paint Part #:BGM0490 (93 Chev S-10 light pewter metallic)

Make sure you shake the daylights out of these to disperse the metallic particles! Like 5 minutes at least!

Suggest you do something small first, like a motor mount cover. -Al