Nissan NS5B re-attaching lower unit

bigd6223

Cadet
Replaced the water pump impeller on my 1990 5 HP 2 stroke and that went smoothly. When I went to re-attach the lower unit, hooked up the linkage no-problem and inserted the drive shaft into the engine where it would turn then motor over but still needs to go up another inch to insert the bolts and tighten down? It's like the drive shaft is an inch too long. None of the Youtube vids that I've been trying to self educate myself with seem to address this issue. Any ideas would be of great help.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Does yours have an "unlatcher" for the tilt that uses the shift linkage rod? The four strokes do, and that rod has to be centered in its hole to get the lower unit all the way up. That one has screwed me up a few times when I'm thinking the drive shaft is off and it's really that rod that's hitting the housing and not going into its hole.

pvanv

Admiral
Your water tube may be hitting the pump. check that.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If all was OK when detaching the lower leg to change the water impeller and when reinstalling the drive shaft again won't fully insert into the lower crankcase, must rotate flywheel CW with hand while pushing upwards the drive shaft and water tube till both locks in their respective locked positions, if this situation it's your particular case, this tip has never missed a beat.

Happy Boating