3 hp 2 stroke misses mid range

Tohatsu 3 hp 2 stroke on my inflatable. Starts fine, idles fine and runs good above 75 % throttle. Mid range has a very distinct miss. I suspect a rich mixture issue since good operation other than mid range precludes ignition. Carb has idle speed screw only. Disassembled gives a metering jet option but i suspect this would affect higher throttle also. The only other adjustment is for the float. Does anyone have some input on this?

pvanv

Admiral
Nope. That is incorrect. No such motor ever made. What is your actual model? If M3.5, you can adjust the slide valve to any of 3 or 4 different slots in the pin to adjust richness. Look at the plug color to determine whether too lean or too rich.

Last edited:
Model is M3.5 but i believe it is rated 3 hp. If it runs smooth at higher throttle am i risking a lean mid range by adjusting ?

pvanv

Admiral
The 3.5A has the water pump on the prop shaft, and starts in gear... no neutral. The 3.5B has it on the drive shaft, and has F-N-R. They were available as a 2.5 or a 3.5... never a 3. Both use a slide type carburetor. Assuming oil mix is correct, and ignition is good, then checking plug color will tell whether rich or lean. Then adjust accordingly. When I send these to Denver, I lean them out one notch. They seldom need adjustment otherwise. If the carb won't come clean enough with ordinary cleaning, some folks set them one notch rich. I try to avoid that, because future cleanings might then make it too rich. These things are nearly indestructible, so after verifying oil mix, ignition and plug color, adjust as needed.

Paul, thanks for the ideas. Got me thinking how old the motor is with a carb that has never been removed let alone cleaned. Ordered the kit and will see what that does then if needed will adjust slide valve. As a note, the Tohatsu factory repair manual lists carb disassembly instructions for 2.2-3.0 and slightly different instructions for 2.5-3.3

pvanv

Admiral
Remember not to just install the kit, but clean the carb correctly. That motor was only available as a 2.5 (smaller carb) or 3.5 (not detuned with smaller carb). There never was a 2.2 nor 3.0 nor 3.3.