Nissan 5 4 Stroke outboard kicks over when put in gear?

Lukeholmy

Recruit
I have a Nissan 5 4 stroke outboard attached to a jon boat. It stays in Maine, and goes through some rough winters but it stays inside out from the elements, it worked the past two years great but when taking it out this year it started great in idle, but then when putting it I drive it ran great for about 25 seconds then stuttered and cut out. If you let it sit for a few minutes without messing with it, it will run for 5 seconds than stop. It runs great in idle, but then when put into gear it will die after a few seconds. We have replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the carburetor, replaced gas, checked gas line and pump, water cooling works, oil is good. Could it possibly be the spark plug? We looked at it and it seems fine, the model of plug is NGKDCPR6E.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Even though you cleaned the carburetor, I would still suspect that it is still gummed up and causing a lean running situation. If you apply some choke, does it make any difference?

Lukeholmy

Recruit
I’ve cleaned it three times, absolutely spotless. I think it could possible be a coil issue.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does same when geared forward ? If so, seems the idle rpm is way high, adjust the idle speed screw CCW bit less till the kick is cancelled, too much less idle rpm will shut the motor....

Happy Boating

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
While you're in there cleaning things (this does sound like a carb issue) also pull the fuel pump and clean it. You can flip over the plastic and rubber valve parts too, to get 'fresh' surfaces to seal. Also check that you're not sucking in air in any of the fuel hose connections.