Fuel tank

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased a new 50hp Tohatsu outboard. Owners manual states that a 25L fuel tank comes with the motor. I didn't receive a tank. Am I missing something or is this another example of a dealer skimming from the top.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
call the dealer. the manual could also be wrong.

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand stand that but I wanted to ask others that have bought a motor. Obviously, either way the dealer is going to say no.

pvanv

Admiral
MFS40/50 can ship with a tank, but don't ship with them by default. Also no primer hose, and no control box or pre-rig kit, or propeller, unless requested. These motors are shipped "a la carte" and you order what you need with the motor. All those bits are at additional cost. This keeps the bare motor cost down. This started in August 2019, for the 2020 model year.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's interesting. So when you add up all the items you surely need, that can easily get pretty costly. Wow, I haven't bought an engine if decades. :eek:

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's interesting. So when you add up all the items you surely need, that can easily get pretty costly. Wow, I haven't bought an engine if decades. :eek:

Also saves you a bunch of money if you're just repowering your boat and you already have a fuel tank, control box, cables, gauges, etc.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Also saves you a bunch of money if you're just repowering your boat and you already have a fuel tank, control box, cables, gauges, etc.

But your old engine would have to be compatible with your new engine, for that to work out.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To ship any outboard without a tank as was usual, it's a crime. Tohatsu sets a bad precedent doing so. Will need to add at least $170 for the spare tank and complete primer bulb assembly.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Tohatsu lowered engine prices, and then you add whatever accessories you need. This is a change for 2020 that levels the playing field for oem dealers vs shop dealers. It came as a real surprise to me, and I had to explain to a customer why the installed price was higher than expected. Of course, Mercury and Yamaha always did that, so now Tohatsu is in the same boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Down here all motor brands comes included in the box with a 6 gal tank and primer bulb, will be a bummer ordering separately to the manufacturer due to delivery time, shipping cost, local Customs's taxes...

Happy Boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seems whatever the more costlier method is, is the new norm. Everybody wants their cut!

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I contacted them and of coarse the owners manual is misprinted and should not say the tank is includes

pvanv

Admiral
Of course the manual was printed prior to the 2020 model year.