1997 M40C Tiller Conversion Question

MarvinGabriel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, so the tiller will be there today. It seems to me that I'll also need a start button and a stop button. I don't really see a spot for both on the engine, anywhere, so I suppose I can wire it up on the boat somewhere near the transom. I've looked through my manual, but the schematics suck, since I the engine doesn't seem to match any of the diagrams.. Where would I wire up start and stop switches? OH, I have an electric starter, and the engine seems to have always had remote controls.

MarvinGabriel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK. I finally located the proper diagram for MY motor. It seems I really needed to look at the schematic for the Remote Controlled motor, and the Tiller motor, with elec start. So, if I get a kill switch, it connects to the connectors inside the engine cover on the Brown and Black connectors...and a start button looks like Green and Red. Correct? Where the Remote harness has a Blue wire connecting to the Green wire going to the solenoid.

OK, so the tiller will be there today. It seems to me that I'll also need a start button and a stop button. I don't really see a spot for both on the engine, anywhere, so I suppose I can wire it up on the boat somewhere near the transom. I've looked through my manual, but the schematics suck, since I the engine doesn't seem to match any of the diagrams.. Where would I wire up start and stop switches? OH, I have an electric starter, and the engine seems to have always had remote controls.

pvanv

Admiral
Correct. In your vintage, documentation is gatting scarce. Brown to black is kill. Assuming you have a solenoid now, you just need to trigger it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Getting rid of a central console is the way to go for me as well. more open space is a must to count with. Will there be a transversal seat, seat locker to sit on ? If so, will need to add a tiller extender to shift your weight bit forward when riding solo.

Happy Boating

MarvinGabriel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Getting rid of a central console is the way to go for me as well. more open space is a must to count with. Will there be a transversal seat, seat locker to sit on ? If so, will need to add a tiller extender to shift your weight bit forward when riding solo.

Happy Boating

Yep. It worked well. I just added a couple of switches for shut off and electric starter. Now, there was another issue...discussed in a separate thread. For now, the extra space allowed me to teach my daughters to fly fish from the boat, and that is golden!