Tohatsu 70hp Timing (model M70A)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu 70hp Timing (model M70A)

I’m trying to get the right timing information for a Tohatsu 70hp. The model number is M70A. It’s probably from the 80’s. From my research the timing should be 5 atdc at idle and 20 degrees btdc at wot. I think the service manual has long been out of print but am hoping someone out there has the information. Any advice is appreciated. Tom

Maximum timing usually does not go out of adjustment.-----And be very careful if you decide to adjust the idle timing.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ??

Comment

I agree it usually is good to go but the previous owner did some “work” and I’d like to make sure things are set up properly. When I got it the timing was way off. It seems to run good now that I adjusted the timing/carburetor pickup (5 ATDC and 20 BTDC). I just don’t want to burn a piston up if I’m not in spec. From my understanding, it can run good but still damage things if the advance isn’t right. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

SERVICE MANUAL : 3 & 4 CYLINDER 2-STROKES

Description

Covers all 3 & 4 cylinder 2-stroke models.

Part #: 003-21036-1

List Price (MSRP): $50.00
        Paul
        Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
        Buffalo NY USA

Comment

That’s it? Buy a manual to verify a timing spec? Count me out. I help a lot of people (Locally) with their motors for free when a shop would charge them a $120 just to peek at it. Anyways thanks for the reply-that’s answer enough for me.

Comment

The Factory service manual is your friend. Not just for specs. And not even half of $120.
            Last edited by pvanv; May 17th, 2020, 03:34 AM.
            Paul
            Buffalo NY USA

Comment

You’re right, just bought it on eBay for $14.99. That’s less than half of $50.00 MSRP that you quoted earlier. And it’s not even one of those fireplace SELOC or CLYMER manuals (even though they’d probably have the spec I need).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOHATSU-NIS...72.m2749.l2649

BTW, the M70A is a two cylinder so the manual you pointed me to would be the wrong one. Plus, it’s a free pdf download (I already have it, downloaded it prior to my first post on this thread).

http://www.tohatsu.dk/forhandler/Ser...202-Stroke.pdf
              Last edited by Junedog123; May 17th, 2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

If you had the correct manual prior to posting, I would have expected you to be an expert at answering your own question regarding timing. What happened? Just curious.

Comment

Hello, I didn’t have the correct manual prior to posting. I was pointing out that the manual recommended by an expert to buy was not the correct one and that it’s a free download (so why buy it). I ordered the correct manual this morning on eBay for a 2 cylinder 70hp Tohatsu (what I have, not a 3 cylinder). I simply was asking to see if someone could verify a timing spec on a m70a Tohatsu. I didn’t get a solid answer other than to buy something.
                  Last edited by GA_Boater; May 17th, 2020, 11:15 PM. Reason: We work openly or the forum becomes worthless

Comment

Originally posted by Junedog123 View Post
                    You’re right, just bought it on eBay for $14.99. That’s less than half of $50.00 MSRP that you quoted earlier. And it’s not even one of those fireplace SELOC or CLYMER manuals (even though they’d probably have the spec I need).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOHATSU-NIS...72.m2749.l2649

BTW, the M70A is a two cylinder so the manual you pointed me to would be the wrong one. Plus, it’s a free pdf download (I already have it, downloaded it prior to my first post on this thread).

http://www.tohatsu.dk/forhandler/Ser...202-Stroke.pdf
                    The paper manual is cool. I do have a reprint of it. They are copyrighted, so the PDF could incur the wrath of attorneys. I would zap that link if I were you.
                    Paul
                    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

It’s also cool to help people out. The manual from eBay came in. The answer to my original question is 0 degrees at idle And 20 degrees BTDC at WOT. If anyone needs any questions answered for a M70A just ask I’ll be happy to try and help. I won’t try and sell you anything.

Comment

The manual also covers the M55A Motor.

Comment

Yeah, but you can't get parts. Not even a water pump kit, They are 40 years old. Keep that in mind.
                          Paul
                          Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Hey junedog. I have a m70a as well. The carb air fuel adjustment screws are out of adjustment. Is there a baseline number of turns out from a seated screw. I think I saw 1 1/4 turns but I'm having some trouble getting it right without a tachometer. Thanks.

Comment

Manual says it’s 1 turn, plus or minus 1/4 turn. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X