2007 tohhatsu mfs5b

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. I. Scratching my head here. Bought this motor used. Looks so clean and new. Tank had a few gallons of gas that still smelled fine. I added an extra 3 gallons of fresh. Gave it a couple pulls and she started right up. Ran her up the canal for a few minutes then it died. Cant start again for anything. I only have a cheap spark tester but she has spark. I can directly spray engine starter fluid in from carb or directly into spark plug hole and nothing. Compression test not sure about since I thought engine has to be warm. But if I pull it a bunch of times compression reads about 45. Please help

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice
Also , I got overly ambitious and took apart whole head. Piston was beautiful, valves looked new. Got some gaskets and slapped it all back together but when I adjusted the valves I did not know about compression stroke. I just looked through fuel pump hole and adjusted valves when it looked lined up. Could this be an issue? It's ok to laugh at me

pvanv

Admiral
That's why I always recommend the Factory service manual. Compression will show low when cranking because of decompression. If you have fuel, compression and spark, it should run. Start with the basics and make sure you have good gas.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a must to start troubleshooting firstly the entire fuel system, then the electrical and lastly the mechanical ones. Clean the inner mesh filter located under the fuel **** if using the portable tank and the larger one located before the fuel pump. Would recommend to clean both, had same issue with a 2 stroke 5 HP motor that shares both fuel filters and tanks. Stripping an engine firstly without having troubleshooted the first 2 is an extreme fix...

Happy Boating

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice
Here's what I know for sure. When I put a drill on the flywheel I definitely feel the compression. If I pull the spark plug with drill spinning flywheel it sparks like crazy. The carb is off right now but if I spray engine starter fluid in either the spark plug hole and try or where the carb should be I get nothing. Not even a fart

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I found one mistake I made lol. I never opened the exhaust part. It when I put the head back on I added a gasket on top of the exhaust plate. Not supposed to be there. Would this fudge it all up? So it already had 37 and 38 in place and then another 37 on top of it. SMH

Attachments

• 20200404_193933.jpg
    20200404_193933.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
That shouldn't affect anything. Throw a timing light on it to confirm you are sparking when you should.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
here is a good info how to check timing

Attachments

• mercury wał.jpg
    mercury wał.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 0