Tohatsu M18c problem

markusweiss

Cadet
Hi guys,
i hope someone here can help me...
At the moment i have a problem with my M18c, one of the two sparkplugs wont fire ;(
i located the problem and think its the dual coil pack...does someone know where to get this part or which other part will fit this engine???

Thanks for the help and greetings from Austria
Markus

Attachments

• photo327233.jpg
    photo327233.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Probably entering the NLA territory, the newer Tohatsu M 18D/D2 dual coil pack models are much smaller and simple. Just one cable fed by the CD and 2 spark cables.

Happy Boating

markusweiss

Cadet
I thought of this conversion already, yust need to know how to connect it to the older wiring...?!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I thought of this conversion already, yust need to know how to connect it to the older wiring...?!

Will need to have at hand the M18C wiring schematic and go from there to adapt a newer dual ignition coil, other alternative could be converting the older system to the newer one. For that will need to buy a Exciter coil, a CD! and a dual ignition coil pack, but that adventure will cost more than 500 bucks.. How many cables does the exciter coil located under the flywheel have ?

Happy Boating

markusweiss

Cadet
3 cables going into the flywheel, brown (measured: its ground/negative), blue and red..
i didnt take off the flywheel until now, but i can do so tomorrow....

pvanv

Admiral
IGNITION COIL W/RESISTANCE Part 362060500 was superceded to 3G2060404M$57.40 Available

markusweiss

Cadet
i think this will not work, my outboard has no computer, so it needs the 3 wires for ignition timing....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
IGNITION COIL W/RESISTANCE Part 362060500 was superceded to 3G2060404M$57.40 Available

Is that the OEM replacement part for the MC18 motor ? If so, the OP should buy it. All those 2 stroke 18 HP motors are non computerized models, are old school plain electrical ones.

Happy Boating

markusweiss

Cadet
Yes, that is the genuine Tohatsu part. Right from the parts list.

Can you show me how to connect it correctly?
whats about the other cables coming from the exciter and pulser coil?
how to connect the kill switch?

Tohatsu Ignition 3A1062402M 119-2402 - CDI Electronics

for me this one looks like the best fitting one, is there a difference inside? if yes, whats the difference?

greetings

pvanv

Admiral
The exciter and pulser connect to the CD. The ignition coil goes from the CD to the plugs. You want the 3G2060404M. CDI stuff is all aftermarket.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, if the Exciter, Pulser Coil and CD unit are in good working order, why would you need to go for the costier non OEM aftermarket unit, buy what Paul is offering at peanuts cost compared to before goes NLA.....

Happy Boating

markusweiss

Cadet
so a ignition coil for 50 $ will work without a CD-unit? for this i need a seperate CD-unit to get it work properly....
the old part was CD and ignition in one piece i think, its written "koukusan denki CD ignition" on it, there is no seperate CD like on my Evinrude 6hp:ranger:

pvanv

Admiral
The earliest parts catalog I can access is for the M18C2, which shows a separate CD and coil.

pvanv

Admiral
The earliest parts catalog I can access is for the M18C2, and it has separate CD and coil. Keep in mind that your motor is ancient, and many parts are or will soon be NLA.

markusweiss

Cadet
thanks for looking in your list, mine is a M18C

i already notice that this could be difficult in the future, but lets hope it works with the part i orderd and keeps working for the next years....

greetings