Is there truely a difference between a Tohatsu and a Mercury 6hp? Then what?

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Been looking at replacing the Honda pre-1997 BF75 with a new kicker motor and have zeroed in on the Mercury 6hp 20" long shaft I talked to a couple of guys at work and they state that the motors are identical. I read online that the power heads are the same, but the lower units and carbs are different. When I look at the pictures of them side by side the look almost the same. Different colors.

So I have to ask the following questions;

1) are they the same?
2) Do they use the same parts? IE impeller/water pump kit, spark plugs, thermo stats, carb kits, etc... (Normal maintenance items)

The reason for these questions are I found a Tohatsu motor locally used and I am hesitant if getting parts is a problem. I have a mercury marine dealer very close and would love to use them for parts if push ever came to shove.

So please let me know. Don't want to have another BF75 issue with getting parts...

pvanv

Admiral
They are identical except for paint and decals. Tohatsu makes those and the evinrudes, so you have 3 independent parts sources.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the Mercury has a slightly better pull-start handle on the recoil (part of the Mercury branding request)

other than that, decals and paint.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How old is the Tohatsu? They were making outboards before the Tohatsu/Merc joint venture which began in the late '80's.

The Force power

Commander
"92 Force / Mercury / Game fisher 5 HP

Impeller $50 (no aftermarket avail.)
Propeller $120 (no aftermarket avail.)
Carb. kit $80

My advice...check for part cost & availability before buying the motor

pvanv

Admiral
"92 Force / Mercury / Game fisher 5 HP

Impeller $50 (no aftermarket avail.)
Propeller $120 (no aftermarket avail.)
Carb. kit $80

My advice...check for part cost & availability before buying the motor

That was for a 30 year old Merc/Force. Not applicable on the newer Tohatsu motors.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The reason for these questions are I found a Tohatsu motor locally used and I am hesitant if getting parts is a problem. I have a mercury marine dealer very close and would love to use them for parts if push ever came to shove.

He did say "new".

OK. There is "new" and there is "new". This Tohatsu falls into the "new" to me category.