Mid 80s 7.5hp Honda75 4stroke outboard help needed

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
So I picked up a really nice looking mid 80s 7.5hp Honda 4 stroke kicker motor. By appearances this motor is very low hours, under the hood is very clean all the paint on the powerhead looks like factory new none of the fasteners are corroded all hoses and wires look fresh. I'm having a problem keeping it running though it'll start with starter fluid then rev a little and before I can even adjust the throttle it just dies Everytime. Any ideas anyone? Also it has good compression. This has really got me stumped.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
When messing with something like this, you need to start with a known clean carb. Unless you are absolutely sure the carb is right, it's nearly impossible to go any further.

From what you say, it sounds like the carb is full of crud. It can (and does) happen over the period of just a few months. You MUST use a fuel conditioner or drain the carb if the engine is going to be sitting for more than a couple of weeks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes folks get the carburetor clean after the 3rd cleaning attempt.----Very tine holes and passage ways in them.----Also check valve clearance on it.---Easy to remove the valve cover to check this.----Have one now that has low compression and no clearance on one lifter.

ahicks

Captain
I agree...
When I first started messing with the Honda's, it wasn't at all unusual to have to go back in to the 3-4 carbs to find the one tiny little piece of crud, in one of those 3-4 carbs, that was STILL causing an engine to run rough! The idle jets on these Honda's, especially on the older ones, have to be spotless as they're only about the size of a whisker hair, and THEY control the mixture on the idle. Because of their size they're very easily plugged, and if it's dirty, it's NOT going to idle right..... -Al