Tohatsu 40hp Broken Driveshaft

C-Beans

Cadet
I let my motor run away on me as I stated in a previous post and as I said I threw it into neutral and that must have been when the driveshaft busted.

I got the shaft out of the gearbox ok but any tips or tricks on getting the rest out of the powerhead?
I thought I might slide a super strong magnet up there.

It broke super clean and I slid a snake camera up there and there doesnt seem to be any other damage.

pvanv

Admiral
The splines may be twisted; If so, extracting the top part of the shaft will require some work. I would probably pull the power head off to check. Verify the crankshaft splines aren't damaged. When installing the new shaft, be sure to grease the splines.

C-Beans

Cadet
I was able to get it out with some neodymium magnets taped to a stick but took a little work as it seemed stuck. The broken end would slide up and down in the splines but wouldnt slide out, something was stopping it. Distressed, I turned the flywheel about a quarter turn and, to my amazement, it slid right out nice and smooth.
Stuck my snake camera back up there and the splines seem fine. Guess I'll know if and when I can find another driveshaft.

pvanv

Admiral
3c8643010mdrive shaft s$295.98
3c8643020mdrive shaft l$302.98
3c8643030mdrive shaft ul$319.18

C-Beans

Cadet
Is there a way to buy one through iBOATS?
Also how do I find out which one mine? I imagine they are short, long and uber long?

pvanv

Admiral
You can order from any dealer. iBoats is unfortunately not a dealer. PM me for more info.
S is 15", L is 20, and UL is 25". Jap motors are about 2" longer than that. Measure from top of transom to antiventilation plate.