Tohatsu MFS50A Pulser Coil Resistance?

ayylmao

Recruit
I have a 2017 Tohatsu MFS50A 4-stroke that for the past 2 years, up until a couple weeks ago, has been flawless. I was out on the water when the engine wouldn't rev above 2000ish RPM's, then started sputtering and eventually died. A towboat call and a couple weeks later I still haven't been able to figure out the issue. Fuel Pressure is around 45 psi, drops to around 35psi when starting to crank but gets right back up to 45 quickly.

The other day I got it to intermittently start, but it would putter for 10 seconds then die.

I have also tried restarting the ECM (Key on - pull safety lanyard - wait 5 secs - pop safety lanyard switch out - wait 5 secs - pop safety lanyard switch out - wait for 3 confirmations beeps - then turn off key and put lanyard back in)

I tried hooking up an oscilloscope to the pulser coil to see if it formed a square wave when starting, but it seemed like more of a ramp and dropoff. I have a service manual on order, however I would prefer to have this fixed before I have to get it out of the marina/not have to pay for a towboat.

Yes, the motor is under warranty - however the nearest dealer is an hour away with a 3 week repair time - in addition to this it would cost me hundreds for a towboat to the launch site. If it's anything more advanced then I will take this approach - but trying to cross the easy things off the list in the meantime.

Does anyone with access to the service manual know what the resistance in ohms should be for the pulser coil? From other manuals(similar motors) I could find the gapping should be around .04" (+-.02").

Thanks!

ayylmao

Recruit
Should have kept it simple...
tested for spark - check
tested fuel pressure - check
checked fuel that was coming out of the motor - milky

ended up having an overfilled water separator and bad fuel - just needed a good flush