M30a4/M25c3 CDI

RobRK

Recruit
Can I use a 3A0-06060-1 CDI in lieu of
3P0-06060-1?
​​​​​
​​​​​I do see listings with aftermarket CDI which interchange with both part numbers.

I've got a 2001 M30a4 acting up. I might be throwing some ignition parts at this thing since I hope I removed fuel issues from the equation....Rebuilt the carb with a tohatsu kit the other day. Carb was clean as a whistle when I dismantled it ..nothing inside in the bowl. Looks new inside and out.. Carb is run dry after using the boat when it's going to sit for over a week and for the most part use e-free gas and seafoam/startron regularly. Fuel filter regularly cleaned. Did buy a fuel pump... did not install it yet.

Symptoms: used to start on three pulls... Now maybe 9 or 10 ...manual start motor. Maybe 100 hours ...
Idles fine for the most part but will kick up RPM for a few seconds and idle back down normally ..a little bit lower then kick up RPMs randomly. Put it into gear, it might run fine get up on plane and go like a scalded cat or may bog to wide open throttle. If I let it idle down, put it in neutral rev up a few times, put it back into gear it might go like a scalded cat like it normally does or just bog all the way to wide open throttle. If it's bogging and it let it continue...it might "kick in" and take off normally like a scalded cat again and run fine till the next episode.
So far: checked the Exciter coil- red and blue wire- from underneath the flywheel with a digital voltmeter. 164 ohm reading... In the process of getting hold of a factory service manual but maybe I can get a little insight from this wonderful board
thanks in advance for any any help!
Rob

RobRK

Recruit
Looks like CD unit part numbers end in zeroes 3P0060600 and 3A0060600 or 361060600 ...oops!

pvanv

Admiral
Current Listing for the M25C3 is:
3P0060600MC.D. IGNITION UNIT (CU2561)

For the M30A4:
3P0060600MC.D. IGNITION UNIT (CU2561)
361060601MC.D. IGNITION UNIT (CU2503)-FOR EXTERNAL COIL ONLY Part 3A0060600 was superceded to 361060601M
Looks like that is for a different motor; not sure of the model.

The exciter should produce about 130-150 DVA peak.
A digital ohm meter should show 130-195, +/- 25%.

If you have an intermittent electrical component, these are hard to track down, as they might be acting up thermally. Might pass all tests when cold, but fail hot, etc.

Does it ever misfire? Likely not CD if it doesn't.

Did you do a complete disassembly and an overnight soak of the carb in real carb dip, followed by a liberal blow-out with generic carb spray, followed by a careful reassembly, paying particular attention to needle/float setting and operation?

RobRK

Recruit
Hey Paul thanks for the quick response you've helped me in the past I do appreciate it.
​​​ the way it runs and acts up I went to the carb initially and it just looked too good to be true like I thought it would but I did the soak in a carb solution, ran a carb cleaner through all the passages there weren't many.
I blew everything out with compressed air. Needle and float setting were right on the money functioning as designed...
I did not test voltage on the Exciter coil yet but did get 164 ohms resistance. I have seen on this forum a chafed wire or two under the flywheel.
Thanks for the CDI heads up there is no misfiring.
The 3a0060600 fits the M25c2 that's why I was wondering if it would fit /work on the M25 c3/M30A4
It sounds though I won't need it anyway... Any other thoughts by appreciation of course in advance!