Mfs9.9e first oil change

vdotmatrix

Seaman
I am looking at the owners manual and describes the oil change as if the motor s still on the boat. Turning and tilting the motor, draining the oil.

Certainly, one would never try this over the water and i plan on removing the motor, taking it to the curb and......but wait, the oil drain hole is on the left side and to lay the motor down, it should be on the handle side...

how do i change the oil and do this without screwing something up?

thanks in advance.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
You plan on taking the motor off the boat, taking it to the curb and open the drain up??? Where is the oil going to end up at the curb? Barrow or make a cheap small outboard motor stand that you can mount the motor to, pretend it is still on your boat while it is actually on land, and follow the steps in the owners manual to turn/tilt motor, and let the oil drain into a proper container.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
I thought it went without saying that i have an oil pan. Ok, i don't have have a stand or one that I can borrow. Can i get away with putting the motor on its other side while i drain the oil without damage to the motor?
You plan on taking the motor off the boat, taking it to the curb and open the drain up??? Where is the oil going to end up at the curb? Barrow or make a cheap small outboard motor stand that you can mount the motor to, pretend it is still on your boat while it is actually on land, and follow the steps in the owners manual to turn/tilt motor, and let the oil drain into a proper container.

pvanv

Admiral
You can use an oil extractor down the dipstick tube while the motor is on the boat.

vdotmatrix

Seaman
You can use an oil extractor down the dipstick tube while the motor is on the boat.

I managed to put the motor on a cart and had enough room underneath to place the oil pan..... i th8nk the oil extractor would be a heck of a lot less work. Thanks man,