Motor /Prop I.D Help

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a Nissan 70 H.P. motor. I need help with what prop to buy. First off, the model # is NS70A2. In some cases, I see this listed as a 1991 model and other cases I see it listed as a 1992 model. I would like to buy a new prop as mine is getting a bit chewed up, and I would like a new one plus get this original one re-done. There are absolutely no numbers at all anywhere on the current propeller. I counted 13 splines on the prop shaft, but that is all I know. I do not know what size to get or what pitch. I am happy with it's performance on my 16.7' Smokercraft boat, but how do I know which prop to buy? I cannot even see any props availabe on line for the Nissan motors. Will a Tahotsu motor prop of the same model year fit the Nissan motor? Thanks.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Just looking up that model number it seems like it's a 10.9 dia prop and comes in pitch sizes from 9 to 17.5. Looks like the same props fit the 40-70 HP motors (and maybe more)

You could take the existing prop to a local prop shop and get it scanned so you know exactly what the pitch is. If they're going to fix it anyway they would easily be able to tell you. Then you could also decide if you want the exact same pitch or go up or down a size or two for better performance for what you use it for.

BTW, did you look on the actual blades rather than the hub? My props have the pitch stamped on the backside of one of the blades.

You can measure the diameter with a ruler or tape measure to confirm that.

Last edited:

iggyw1

Thanks. I never even thought of the fact that the prop shop could tell me the size of my current prop. (Very simple solution too). Kinda dumb on my part! LOL I just want to order my new one before I take the old one for repair, but I can take the old one into the shop and let them check the size and give it back to me. There just may be some numbers on the blades of my prop, but I did not notice any. The prop was painted over in the past, so maybe if I look a lot closer, I will see some numbers there. Thanks for opening my eyes!!!

Kind of difficut to measure a three blade prop with a ruler, but I can check the radius from center to end of one blade and double it to determine my diameter. Thanks.

pvanv

Admiral
All Nissans ever made are rebadged Tohatsus. Lilkewise, all 4-stk Mercs 30 and down are rebadged Tohatsus, and all 4-stk Evinrudes 20 and down are Tohatsus.

2-Stroke (70.0)
M70A / 70B 2-CYLINDER MODEL
AluminumLIGHT10.917.63 353641090MPROP 70B (10.9 DIA. X 17.6 PITCH) $197.12Low Stock
AluminumMODERATE11.5133 353B641050PROP 70B (11.5 DIA. X 13 PITCH) $376.60Low Stock
AluminumMODERATE11.6123 353B641040PROP 70B (11.6 DIA. X 12 PITCH) $207.82Out of Stock

Prop Type Load Diameter Pitch Blades Comments Part # Description Notes MSRP Availability Order Qty

iggyw1

Thank you very much for this info, Paul. I appreciate it.