2000ish tohatsu 8hp 4 stroke

Fishboy316

Cadet
Hello folks.
First time here in awhile. Must mean the boats have been behaving until now.

I have a 2000ish Tohatsu 8hp 4 stroke that is kinda making my head hurt. took my crabbing boat out about a week ago with my G-baby and had issues with it. After about 2 hrs the motor quit and had a tough time starting it again. after playing with it it decided to fire up. pulled pots and ran for the barn. Got home and pulled apart the fuel lines and plugs. found a little water in the gas, replaced the gas in the tank. cleaned plugs. Fired up and ran great. took it out yesterday and was running great for about 45 minutes then died. Took it home after a tow in to the ramp. Pulled off the fuel pump and it looked like there was oil in the pump. Cleaned the pump and installed back. Pulled the plugs and they looked to be fouled with oil. I can push fuel through all points of the fuel system with the primer bulb, just don't understand the oil look in the pump. Any insight would be great!
Thanks
Bill

pvanv

Admiral
Typically one would get fuel in the crankcase if the pump failed; not the other way around. Laying the motor down wrong can get oil in all sorts of places it doesn't belong, including the carb. Oil level is critical. If even a drop over full, there will be problems.

Fishboy316

Cadet
Thanks for the reply!
The motor has been on the boat for 2 years and not removed or laid down. Worked great for the season until now. I think I will do an oil change and make sure the correct amount is in there. Looks like it is to the top line on the dipstick now.
Thanks
Bill