Transporting an OB in back seat of truck

Black Rat

Seaman Apprentice
I've laid it down, I've propped it up with boat cushions, but with my bad back it seems to be just too much lifting or twisting in the back seat. I used this 2x12 and seems to be the least stressful on my back and it worked really well. Does anyone see trouble in this position. I can custom cut something for the skeg out of rubber but is it necessary? I just want to keep the OB inside the truck if possible. I'll move that tool box (ammo can) so it doesn't slide forward in quick stops.

Attachments

• photo321083.jpg
    photo321083.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I simply always tossed them in the bed of the truck in the carry position. other than fuel in the cab and the potential to damage your interior, I see no problem.

alldodge

Staff member
So long as its lashed down good so it doesn't move much if there is an accident then ok.

Could let it ride shoot gun :D

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I have the same motor, although an earlier version. I've carried it in the bed of the truck and also in the cabin, either laying down in the back (with the seat folded up) or in the front seat similar to how you have yours sitting.

In the front seat, I put an extra mat on the floor below the motor so the skeg won't tear up the normal mat. In the back seat I have it tilted up a bit, with the powerhead sitting on top of a box (like the box under your seat), then I slide the passenger seat back to "trap" the motor so it can't move much.

The way you have it I don't see much of an issue at all. If it was laying down (even correctly on the side) then you can get some oil where it shouldn't be as you're going around corners or stopping/starting and the oil splashes around in the crankcase. Just makes it a bit more of a smokey initial start though.

tpenfield

Staff member
I just throw my OB's in the trunk along side my golf clubs. :D.

The only thing I don't like to do is bear weight on the skeg portion of the OB. Not sure from your pic how much weight is on the skeg and at what angle :noidea:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I put them in the bed of my pickup, or in the back of my SUV on an old tire with a Harbor freight moving blanket folded under the motor, I trap the bracket in the middle of the tire and it supports the whole motor.