1996 Tohatsu M40C carb replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Tohatsu M40C carb replacement

If I replace the entire carb, do I also need to get a replacement valve seat? #345032400

Nope. Part of the new carb.
    Paul
    Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Why do you need to replace a complete carb ? Having needle seat issues ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Rider View Post
        Why do you need to replace a complete carb ? Having needle seat issues ?

Happy Boating
        Running poorly, having cleaned carb plenty of times, runs good for a little while, leaves me stranded on the open lake too much, very long paddle to the launch...
        Plastic fitting that is swaged onto the brass fitting for the hose to connect to is cracked and cannot buy that piece without the whole carb. Aspirating air, I tried applying RTV sealant and clamping hose onto little brass knobby stub, but unsure if it's still sucking in air.
        Float & main jet sticks and I pull carb often to clean it, but tired of doing that.
        If this doesn't solve my problem then I might search for another motor...

Comment

Yeah, those plastic inlets were never available separately. I have seen folks drill the carb base out and thread in brass ones, but it requires skill, patience, and a little luck to do that.
          Paul
          Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
          Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Also bought a fuel pump & filter, going to swap them out too.
            I'm not crazy about swapping out parts just for the heck of it, but I'm inclined to think I have a fuel related delivery problem, and not a power pack issue...fingers crossed.
            Reason why I'm not 100% certain it's one or the other is the spark is fine on both plugs and doesn't misfire, can cold start no problem, motor warm up and get going no problem, troll all day and intermittently pick up troll plate and run to another spot, get back to trolling, and when done for the day, go to full throttle then suddenly into a few minutes running it sputters, appears to misfire and loses power, sometimes resulting in engine cutting out, then incredibly hard to start and once fired up again, will rev to almost full throttle while in neutral but then engage in forward will sputter/die/hard start.
            Takes several minutes of frustration and then get to start/go into gear only to seem like full throttle run is barely 10MPH.back to the docks.
            Last edited by mudchuck; August 16th, 2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Lets hope that's a carb, fuel pump related issue. Good Luck, report findings.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

And to make matters worse, the lower unit seal job I did last summer failed. And I'm 100% certain I placed them correctly, I think the salt water corrosion from the PO's has pitted things and water seeping thru, now I have to deal with that again.
                Boat will have to go into early winter storage...

Comment

Working...
                X